Software Install Issues for DPM/Printers RIP5

dagoof

Was hoping someone could help me with these issues - we've got a DPM2340 but it runs off an ancient Win NT RIP (Harlequin RIP 5.3 rev 4a). I had the bright idea of trying to install the software onto a newer machine in order to network it but it's given me no-end of problems!

After literally a week of fighting with the thing I've managed to get it outputting plates from the new XP based RIP but I've still got minor problems. First thing's first, device manager on the XP RIP lists about 7 entries for SCSI printer - neither the 'general printer' driver, driver off my CD or the driver off the presstek website works for these. But I don't know if they're even needed, seeing as it's outputting.

The software version from the CDs (5.1) is also older than one that was running on NT4 (5.3). And I've lost the status manager (with temp etc - the RIPUTSRV.exe file for it won't run). But I have replicated all the settings as near as I could get them. On the NT there was no exposure setting but there is one for the new RIP - the default of 300 was no good, 500 is better so I guess that'll take a little experimenting if there's no 'set' value. Will it be possible to get an update for the harlequin (can't find anything on presstek's site)?

Last edited:
I think the harlaquin version I use is 5.5. I asume you have a manual for the 2340.
It explains how to do exposure test. You said plates are grey. No image at all? My setting has been 455 or so. 300 sounds very low. You lost the temperatures icons? How about the blue gauge that shows how much media is left? Double click there to see the settings page. Increase the exposure number, save the change. I use a roll of mega plate. It is loaded in emulsion down. So you have the media loaded correctly, right? My manuals are at the shop, so I can't refer to them today. You sound computer savy, you may have to revert to your previous set up if you were getting plates out. Good luck

Thanks for the reply Richard - had a little more playing about and edited the post above. I downloaded the exposure sheet from presstek site and have plates outputting at 500 exposure.

The install of the software was a little haywire tbh - I've got 2 cds with seemingly different versions. The first installed but gave a registry error so I installed the 2nd over it (thinking about it, it's probably looking for the reg in an NT 'winninit' folder....where it obviously isn't). As mentioned above, I've completely lost the status manager at the bottom of the screen (the one with temp, media etc) - I backtracked from the NT4 system that this application is the RIPUTSRV.exe, but it won't run from the XP system.

I've still got the NT4 rip running but would like to get the XP setup running if at all possible - a good start would be if anyone could advise as to the update situation (or whether I'll be able to get a version for XP).

Last edited:
Hi Vlad,

Yes, as mentioned, the NT system is running 5.3. I don't think I'll go as far as upgrading the software (guessing that would be pretty expensive and it's not really necessary) - and afterall, I do have it running on XP, just minus the status manager. Was thinking about this and going to see if I can run the riputsrv under a compatibility mode.

Do you know what the reg modifications were (can't see why they wouldn't work on XP as it's basically the same infrastructure)?

I am assuming you see a "Generic SCSI Printer". Go to the device manager and right click on it and disable it (don't delete it). Restart and see if that helps.

Hi Bill,

Yes, but as mentioned I've managed to get it out-putting - would disabling the generic printer entries at this point serve any purpose?

Status manager still won't run (even under compatibility mode) so it'd be nice to get that back but I'm assuming it's looking for entries in the winninit folder (legacy from NT) which obviously won't be there under XP. I'd also still like to get an update patch if possible.

It will probably keep generating more and more every time you boot.The 2340 has the same imaging engine as the Eskofot DPX5080 has. It does the same thing.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back