Software options for wide format printing

GTurner

My company is getting into wide format printing. What software is recommended for dealing with and creation of these large files?

For designing, you need vector based software like Adobe Illustrator, or Corel Draw, especially for creating cut lines.
You can get away with Photoshop if you will only be printing and not cutting complex shapes.

Most wide format printers will come with their own RIP/Print software, but you can invest in 3rd party RIP software like Flexi.

Very good actually.
It depends on Adobe not changing their file options.
And I use MarkzWare to import INDD and QXP files into Affinity Publisher.
We also use the really good Qoppa PDF Studio instead of Acrobat where we can.
The only missing piece to replace the Adobe products completely is a PitStop plugin for PDF Studio.
And that's only necessary because PDF's can be finicky when re-opened to edit.
Not using ANY Adobe products on my home systems.

YMMV - I do not represent any of these products or companies.

I would stick with adobe products.
most RIP software run on adobe PDF RIP engines.

tutorials from RIP software companies are all done on adobe.

Im all for alternative software, etc, but when it comes to ease of use, and compatibility, you go for the industry standard stuff.

Like mentioned above, Pitstop Pro wont work with Qoppa PDF Studio, only adobe acrobat pro. Pitstop is a great tool FYI when dealing with customer files.

+1 for adopting industry standards, for many reasons, being a conformist is not one of them.

Over the years I've experienced people, mainly in IT, who've let their anti-Microsoft, anti-Apple, etc. crusade overtake and possess their brains to the extent that at social gatherings they can only talk about the merits of Linux, Android, whatever (and their personal disdain for the industry standard).

No one ever said industry standards are the best - however in an industry supplying and receiving services and data to many different parties; familiarity, compatibility and seamless handshaking are right up there in being on the front foot.

+1 for adopting industry standards, for many reasons, being a conformist is not one of them.
Standards, yes. Make the job easier for all.
Over the years I've experienced people, mainly in IT, who've let their anti-Microsoft, anti-Apple, etc. crusade overtake and possess their brains to the extent that at social gatherings they can only talk about the merits of Linux, Android, whatever (and their personal disdain for the industry standard).
Conversely I have had multiple professional relatives bring up the topic, not at my urging or comment, of how frustrating some specific software products can be for them as the 'standard' has made their jobs much harder than previous.
No one ever said industry standards are the best - however in an industry supplying and receiving services and data to many different parties; familiarity, compatibility and seamless handshaking are right up there in being on the front foot.
Agreed. But when the 'standards' leading software is constantly shifting the product goals, usage, and PRICE without a compensating value there may be a use case to abandon that 'standard.'
Willing to listen to an explanation for Adobe abusing their dominance to gain more value OUTSIDE of corporate profits.
Sure don't see much product improvement, groundbreaking performance, etc. for me.
It is possible that some designers feel adequately compensated by value. Not me personally.
I am not anti-Adobe even though I have been known to point out their foibles.
I am just painfully aware of the consequences of software no longer meeting my professional or personal needs.
I used to see them as an ally.

I’ve been using CorelDraw since the late 1980’s and it works great for wide format. My Summa cutter has a plugin for CorelDraw and for those that like to use Adobe products it has a plugin for AI too. I'm sure Affinity would do just fine too but I don't know if the cutters have plugins for Affinity yet.

Personally, I don’t like software that requires a subscription, so for me Acrobat it the only Adobe software I use now.

Personally, I don’t like software that requires a subscription, so for me Acrobat it the only Adobe software I use now.
@TJPrinter 100% with you on that point, in fact Adobe CC is the only subscription software we have. We often receive Indesign packages which are produced in the latest version, so CS6 would be no good to us. Everything else is on premise, including some very old software (e.g. Sage Accounts 11 years old)

If you want to design at full size go for CorelDraw. If you scale everything then Adobe. Personally I have both and use CorelDraw 99% of the time. Files are output to a Colorado, Arizona, Colex and Graphtec 9000 with no issues.

If you want to design at full size go for CorelDraw. If you scale everything then Adobe. Personally I have both and use CorelDraw 99% of the time. Files are output to a Colorado, Arizona, Colex and Graphtec 9000 with no issues.
You mean output to Onyx. Onyx stands between your printers and cutters.

More often than not, customer files from Corel draw have had more issues when using spot colours.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back