Solid Printing on Envelope Flaps

Muddy

Hey everyone.

I have a project to do where I have a #1o open end envelope that has printing on the face and full solid printing on the flap.

- I can't print as flat sheets and the convert into envelopes because the converter can't hold registration tight enough to get the edge of the solid to hit on the fold.
-I can't open the flaps and grip them on the long edge because they are open end I will lose part of the image into the gripper margin.
- I can't grip them on the narrow edge opposite the flap as the only press we have that will go down to 4 1/8 inch width is a duplicator and it won't do a good job of the pantone color match and solid coverage.
-I've spoken with several converters and I'm getting the same answer. One coverter tells me if I give them 15000 they will "guarantee" 5000. I suppose that is my very last option

The order is for 5000 from my #1 customer so saying know or not solving this is not an issue. The last thing I need is for them to find someone else to do this for them.

Any ideas?

Are the envelope convertors you are talking to the big guys or little guys? I have a #10 standard flap side-seam very similar and we have no issues what-so-ever with two of our three envelope convertors. If you are in the US, what part of the country are you in? Perhaps I can give you a recommendation of someone to get a quote from.

Hey Muddy,

Used to do stuff like this quite often. Print them as flat press sheets. Then steel rule diecut.
That will keep your registration issues to a minimum.

As a side note, you may also put the scores in. This would need to be discussed between your envelope converter and diecutter. There are pros and cons mainly determined by the stock you are printing on.

Hope this helps.

As mentioned steel rule diecut. Any die cutter should be able to do this for you. Then send them to your converter. Should only need about 500 overs that way

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back