Some help with making icc profiles in EFI

ajon

Hello

I would like to ask few questions since i noticed answers on other topics were usualy great :)
I apologise if someone asked these before already and i couldnt find them.

I own small printing company which i started this year. I have HP DesignJet 9000s and i bought EFI FieryXF as RIP software. Since i bought it early this year i got version 3.1.8 but my licence is valid for 4.0.
Also i own Eye One Pro kit and made my own profiles (was beginer but i read and informed myself about it).
All profiles usualy worked great. Small differences between them but so far i was all fine.
Recently i noticed that in some pictures im gettin different colours than i should and mostly it was on yellow that went into greenish.

I know i should remake profiles probably but lets start with few questions :p

What difference is there between EFI 3 and EFI 4 in profiling ? Does it give better results.
Could Profile Optimisation solve my problems?
My print services are usualy based on high quality printing, so what would be best possible way to get highest results in quality.
Are there any tutorials or things to read up on profiling in EFI. Most things i found are really basic things i know already. Is there anything that goes deep into details on things like dot gain , difference between "proof " and "photograph" at begining of profile making and such. Is there any way to make "dots" less visible in some printouts, avoid "granulation" when making profile. As i mentioned again, high quality is what my company needs, not mass production.

Also is there anything else important i should know about general things , like Photoshop setting and saving files, monitor calibration (i own Eizo CE240W and i calibrated it with eye one) or just any other tip expirienced users could give me

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
.. and yes the iterative profile optimisation is easy and works well.
edwin

Last edited:
Profiling in EFI Colorproof XF

Profiling in EFI Colorproof XF

It isn't possible to diagnose your problem from what you've written. The origin may lie in your linearization and ink limiting as well as your profiling. You can try optimizing to see if this helps.

Upgrading to v. 4 will provide many benefits, though I wouldn't necessarily expect a more accurate proof. If you want to solve your problem quickly call on an EFI-certified installer. He can also train you to maintain the system properly from then on.

Best regards,

Mike Strickler
MSP Graphic Services
Certified Implementer, EFI Proofing Products
MSP Graphic Services: Prepress and Color Management

Well here is an example

In this pic, areas i marked are greenish on the print. All other colours are just fine, just as on many other pictures but i just couldn't solve this issue

http://i46.tinypic.com/2efp0xx.jpg

(if someone wants i could upload full quality pic so you can try or something)

All profiles usualy worked great. Small differences between them but so far i was all fine.
Recently i noticed that in some pictures im gettin different colours than i should and mostly it was on yellow that went into greenish.

Hello ajon,

I don't really understand what you mean by "...usualy.." but I assume that you were satisfied with the printed result at first. All printers tend to drift over time, so what you are experiencing is not strange. What you have to do is either re-calibrate or optimize your profile. I would strongly suggest the second option. Optimization is usefull even when you have a fresly made calibration/profile. It will minimize any color shifting to your reference profile. Also, when you create your profile, try to set black ink start above 50%. This will probably help with the granulation issue (I guess you mean peppering).
Still, all the above will help only temporarily. Get yourself trained in using Fiery, you already have some suggestions.

Hope it helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back