Splash problems everywhere

Drawkward

Hey Guys-First Post
I am so glad I found this forum.

Anyway, we have a iMac(Intel) with Splash hooked up to a Xerox Docucolor 252. The machine will never print up to spec speed and has continued to get slower and slower. In addition, images are starting to have this "mottled" look. But I we run it right into the bustled EFI Fiery on the DC 252, it runs quick and clean. I can't help but think I am paying for something that is working against me.

Any suggestions anyone??

Then why not just run it through the Fiery? Maybe it has something to do with the Postscript from the mac, (I know nothing about postscript, nor will I). What advantage is there of having a mac hooked up to the Docucolor vs the Fiery?

You say you are paying for something that is working against you, maybe it's the other way around. If a mac was able to drive the Docucolor then it would have a mac front end not a Fiery (which is a PC). By circumventing the Fiery wouldn't you also loose the calibrations, Pantone matching and other options built in the Fiery?

If you run it directly through the Fiery you lose all of your control. Bascially, the Fiery will just act like a bustled rip with no features. The good part of it is that it runs fast and the images are good. The problem is that you have no control over the finishing aspects and you lose the ability to control and tweak color.

Essentially, we COULD not have the Splash, the features are great and the user interface is excellent. The Splash has it's own calibration and is directly connected to the Docucolor. I am at a loss for ideas. I have had the Xerox folks out and they do not seem to be any real help. I just don't know if there is a real minority of companies running Splash and that means there is a lack of knowledgeable people or I am just big dummy who is missing something obvious.

Have you contacted EFI Directly? Every time I have a rip issue I have found them to be much more knowledgeable then others. They may have a work around for you. I still am not familiar with Splash, or what controls you lose with the Fiery, but we are PC based. The Fiery I have is the EX8000 which has the full graphics arts packed as well.

Spash Problems

Spash Problems

Thanks for the ideas Craig. I guess efi will be my next visit. I hope they can help me better than xerox has. If I had to back in time I probably would have gotten the external Fiery efi rip also. Oh well.

BTW-What are your two big digital pieces you have on your website and your avatar?

Thanks

My Black and White printer is a Ricoh MP9000 and my Color is a Xerox DC8000AP.

I guess I just assumed you had the external rip, sorry for that. Again EFI were great to deal with, I was having a problem with a Canon box trying to print PPML files and Canon didn't even know what PPML files were, or better yet why I would need to use them. Talking to Canon was like looking at a deer in headlights! So, it's not just a Xerox thing when it comes to the front ends that drive these digital machines.

Splash Problems

Splash Problems

The Splash is actually an external RIP. The Splash is supposed to be the same as the External Fiery except it is on a Mac instead of a PC. Interestingly enough, the Docucolor has a bustled Fiery in addition. I am a pretty Mac savy guy(I repair and service them) and all the problem totally lose me. And you are right, Xerox is like a deer in headlights. So on to EFI

I wish I could afford a 1000,5000, 80000 series Xerox machine. A little expensive for our shop. I have had some not great experiences with Ricoh. How do you like yours?

Drawkward, did you get your Splash problem solved? I'm looking at X700 right now and don't know what RIP we should get. I prefer to use Mac if we can. Currently, we have DC260 with the external Fiery rip, and it was okay but due to the slower hardware, they are slower than the CREO rip, I did a demo and compare both rips with the same file. But I don't have a chance to test the Splash. For my understanding, Splash is the front end workflow and it didn't directly print to the Xerox machine, it need either internal bustled Fiery or an external Fiery to drive the Xerox machine. Did the Splash got the imposition software?

I would not recommend the Splash. And that's coming from a guy who repairs Apple products for a part time job. I THOUGHT it would be better, but I was mistaken. All the Splash is is an interface for the bustled Fiery. So you end up sending it through two rips. The good news with that is, if the Splash doesn't work, you can just send it through the Fiery. But if you have any problems, NOBODY knows squat. I went to Rochester and they were shocked that somebody sold me one. I originally wanted it(thinking it would be better for a all Mac shop) but it has been nothing but problems. Currently, we have a Creo Spire installed and we are working through it's problems. I wouldn't recommend the Spash to anyone. It gets the same treatment from Xerox that other small companies get when they get bought out.

I will be happy to answer any other questions you have.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back