Spot gloss/matte effect

bhm8hwcm

I am running some garment tags that are basically solid black with white reverse type. Client wants matte black with gloss white type I told them varnishing white does not show a lot of gloss.

I did a quick test...ran 2 hits of black with inline flood gloss AQ (inktrain). I then put it back through ane ran a spot matte varnish. There is good gloss/matte contrast on the solid black but not much on the white type areas.

Any hints on making the white pop a bit?

I guess I could have run 2 actual varnishes instead of the spot matte over the flood aq but I thought I might get more gloss out of the AQ. When I run the spot matte varnish I guess I could also run a spot gloss plate as well to see if this helps (so basically spot gloss varnish over the gloss AQ...or just forget about the gloss AQ altogether). Unfortunately I pulled the job off the press already so can't test.

If I ran a spot gloss do you think adding opaque white would help or maybe a touch of silver to try to give a metallic pearlescent type look? Any thoughts?

I am running some garment tags that are basically solid black with white reverse type. Client wants matte black with gloss white type I told them varnishing white does not show a lot of gloss.

I did a quick test...ran 2 hits of black with inline flood gloss AQ (inktrain). I then put it back through ane ran a spot matte varnish. There is good gloss/matte contrast on the solid black but not much on the white type areas.

Any hints on making the white pop a bit?

I guess I could have run 2 actual varnishes instead of the spot matte over the flood aq but I thought I might get more gloss out of the AQ. When I run the spot matte varnish I guess I could also run a spot gloss plate as well to see if this helps (so basically spot gloss varnish over the gloss AQ...or just forget about the gloss AQ altogether). Unfortunately I pulled the job off the press already so can't test.

If I ran a spot gloss do you think adding opaque white would help or maybe a touch of silver to try to give a metallic pearlescent type look? Any thoughts?

If you hit with the spot gloss then hit with the matte on the reverse type it should look just fine, no need for the opague white.Yes it will work and you will see a difference. The trick is to get perfect register. Hit your gloss first get that in then hit your matte, scribe lines on both plates so you know which varnish you need to move while you run.You did not say are you trying to do this all in one pass? It will look better if you do this as a dry trap! I have been doing it this way since the 80's. just my 2cents

You are right bhm8hwcm, the contrast of white type is hard to get. Unfortunately, best way is UV gloss coating with a matte back varnish. Doesn't sound like you have the ability(meant machine) to do this or you would have already tried? My 2 cents also! :D

1 - Use gloss white stock then hit with one or two hits of matte black. And possibly a matte varnish which will gloss the black slightly but reduce finger printing.

2 - Use matte black stock and either thermoengrave with gloss white or screen print with opaque gloss white.

best, gordo

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back