Spray powder problems when laminating

JOHNYPRINT

Hi
Can any laminator operators tell me how they deal with spray powder issues when laminating. I am a printer and we have printed jobs that have required an amount of anti set off powder that has caused problems with lamination at the print finishers. Do some laminator machines have the facility to remove spray powder from the sheet before the coating is applied, ie~ a suction system to remove the problem causing powder?.
i am asking because the finishing company charge us if they need to dust the sheets. We are thinking of getting a laminating machine and doing the work in house, can anybody tell me if there are machines that have a system for spray powder removal so that we may consider this as an option. regards john

Hi John,

Have you tried to run printed sheet through the "dry" press once job is ready to ship?
Dry blankets are really good on removing the spray powder and "crushing" some of it into the ink.
Off course, depends on the amount of spray powder, blankets need to be washed and dried.
We do it all the time if job has to be laminated.

Hi bowner
thanks for your reply, we are aware we can put it back through the press and dust with the blankets , but there is a time and cost element to that, so it is un-reasonable to put into a busy work schedule. The way i see it is that it has to be done in-line during the laminating process. regards john

Spray Powder removal

Spray Powder removal

You might try using a compressor or similar air supply to blow the powder off the sheets after printing. We find that very affective and we laminate 85% of our sheets.

I believe there is inks on the market that dried by the means of a light and no set off powder is required

I have had this problem before after printing jobs and the bindery has had issues.

Firstly make sure the press is set up well, allowing you to use the absolute minimum. Damper settings are important, running as low water as possible.

Our old design department was a problem problem, asking us to not block jobs with 4 colour blacks and 270% screens all the time, but after a short and terse discussion that changed, for the most part.

Next utilise any drying features the press has. Do you have IR lamps?
"normal" day to day jobbing work should not much powder at all.
On the jobs you know will be a problem, run small stacks, and lower powder.

Lastly, a switch to "wolf" brand powder helped greatly.
And send a few problem sheets to another finisher to see if they have any isues. It may turn out a different laminator will have less issues.

spray powder

spray powder

Do have the option to run glueable stampable waterbase coating this will allow you to run minimum spray powder. we AQ all jobs to be laminated. this should resolve you problem. Do not let you laminating company tell you this will work ,

RJ:)

spray powder .

spray powder .

Yes you can purchase a laminating machine with a spray calendar roller positioned just before the sheet is laminated . It crushes the spray to finer particles size. Try running your sheets thru the press up side down and see how fine the sheet feels . same idea on a laminating machine. This does a much better job than running with the blanket trying to crush the powder instead of the back cylinder .

RJ

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back