STAHL Folder Issues

Owen

I'm running an ancient Stahl folder (no idea what the model # is, the decals were pried off long ago) that gives me no end of headaches. Recently I had trouble with 100lbs gloss stock with full coverage toner. The paper kept slipping around and passing through the rollers at odd angles giving me widely varying results. One of the old salts who used to run the machine came in and helped me re-calibrate the bloody thing. Since then the heavier stock has gone through just fine, but I've had trouble with regular 24lbs bond. The machine, seemingly at random, crimps the second fold when doing a standard letter fold, crunching up the paper like the rollers are set too tight. It does this even when the rollers are so loose that paper can pass through without any resistance. After re-re-calibrating the rollers the issues persists.

Any ideas?

I'm running an ancient Stahl folder (no idea what the model # is, the decals were pried off long ago) that gives me no end of headaches. Recently I had trouble with 100lbs gloss stock with full coverage toner. The paper kept slipping around and passing through the rollers at odd angles giving me widely varying results. One of the old salts who used to run the machine came in and helped me re-calibrate the bloody thing. Since then the heavier stock has gone through just fine, but I've had trouble with regular 24lbs bond. The machine, seemingly at random, crimps the second fold when doing a standard letter fold, crunching up the paper like the rollers are set too tight. It does this even when the rollers are so loose that paper can pass through without any resistance. After re-re-calibrating the rollers the issues persists.

Any ideas?
I would try 2 things. First make sure the plate nose hasn't been moved down to far. should be adjustment screws ion top of plate. Sometimes issues don't show up with thicker paper but do on thinner sheets. The second thing I would check is your plates . Make sure you don't have a burr on inside the plate. You can visually look inside the plate once out for dings. It doesn't take much on a buckle folder to keep the material from going all the way up to the stop guide. You can also slide a sheet of paper back and forth inside the plate. Feel for any resistance. If you notice any burrs you may have to take the plate apart and gently sand with a piece o emery cloth.

I would try 2 things. First make sure the plate nose hasn't been moved down to far. should be adjustment screws ion top of plate. Sometimes issues don't show up with thicker paper but do on thinner sheets. The second thing I would check is your plates . Make sure you don't have a burr on inside the plate. You can visually look inside the plate once out for dings. It doesn't take much on a buckle folder to keep the material from going all the way up to the stop guide. You can also slide a sheet of paper back and forth inside the plate. Feel for any resistance. If you notice any burrs you may have to take the plate apart and gently sand with a piece o emery cloth.
I appreciate the reply, Bill. Though I wasn't able to identify any of the issues you mentioned those are good tips to keep tucked in the back of my mind. The thing that seemed to solve the issue was running a folding job with a much heavier stock, then completely resetting for lighter stock. Whatever issue the folder was having must have worked itself out with the heavier paper moving through it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back