Static MICR

Muddy

I'll soon be doing a project for a very good customer that involves a static MICR number.

These are for billing sheets that are 8.5 x 11. They have two cross perfs to make a 3 section form. Each section has a static MICR that is the same on all of the pieces that I'm printing.

This MICR number must be read at a bank and is the customers bank account number. We must send test sheets off to the bank for their approval before running the entire job. My past experience tells me that this is a very tricky thing to get the ink in exactly the right density and then being able to duplicate it when it comes time to print the actual job. A few years ago we printed sheets that were rejected by the bank for about the 10th time. In a fit of frustration we sent them back the EXACT same sheets they rejected already and they approved them as being perfect.

We have no device for measuring density other than a densitometer. Saying no to my customer is not an option. Any ideas or advice out there?

is the bank optical scanning or magnetic. I had new bank system with optical equipment, and they have had less issues, but placement is more important. their systems seam to just print right over any micr numbers that are not quite right. make sure you have a clear comparison gage. our bank seams to be able to read almost anything. I have seen some pretty light documents magnetic micr read just fine. check placement on everything also check with another bank. if it works tell the bank.

We do bar code sheets for a local company and they don't have any problems reading whatever density we give them. In addition to what rbailleu asked......are you running a magnetic black or just a regular black?

First off, remember that MICR black isn't a "true" black. It will be more of a charcoal gray. AB Dick and Van Son both make a usable formula. Go ABD on sheetfed, VS if high speed or web. To get a general idea, run it just dark enough that you can smear it with a dry finger. You would be better suited, though, to find an RDM MICR verifier.

One of my jobs was formerly as a MICR trainer for new hires, so if there's anything I can help you with, just yell.

I've been looking around and ideally I would need a RDM MICR verifier but don't want to spend the $7000-$8000. Anyone out there know of a trade shop that might add this MICR #'s to my shells? In Canada would be most desirable.

Depending on the detailed specs of the job, we might be able to help you out. If you would like to email me your contact information at [email protected], I would be happy to get intouch with you to discuss the particulars of this project.

You can check out a partial list of our capabilities at Princeton

Static MICR

Where are you located in Canada? I sell check printing equipment and MICR ink. I know many printers in Canada that might be able to help. The largest Cheque printer in Canada uses our equipment and our ink. I would be happy to help you.
Larry Lindquist
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back