Stochastic Hell

TodHar

I am currently testing stochastic screening for ctp output.I am using harlequin rip 8.08.I am outputting to a presstek dimension 400.CTP.I have tried the medium and coarse settings at the rip. For some reason I am not reading any dot from 0-15% My 50% is reading 11.5%.I have also used compensation curves with the regular page set up and still not making much difference at all.I would appreciate any thoughts on this....Thanks Todd:(

Can you inspect the RIPped file before imaging, so that you can determine if it's a file/RIP issue (calibration curve, settings, etc.) or a plate/imaging issue?

Secondly, do you have any issues producing proper AM screened plates (at high AM screen settings - 175-200 or more)?

Dimension isn't a strong contender for the demands of stochastic imaging, but the results you mention would be surprising for even that device unless something is seriously set up wrong.

Thanks for the reply Kevin...Yes I can inspect the file before hand.However,I am using the callibrated target located on the rip,to take my plate readings.I have had no issues outputting up to 300AM line screen.When I first began testing...We had the same problem with highlight dot.I was asked to drop the laser powers to the Dimension to see if that would get us in the right area..and it did.We were able to get pretty damn close to what we wanted.BUT...I am not confident that that is the correct way to go about it. I would assume that doing that may screw up the Dimension long term....Not sure though.Thanks in advance for any advice....Besides...Get out of printing!!!

Thanks for the reply Kevin...Yes I can inspect the file before hand.However,I am using the callibrated target located on the rip,to take my plate readings.I have had no issues outputting up to 300AM line screen.When I first began testing...We had the same problem with highlight dot.I was asked to drop the laser powers to the Dimension to see if that would get us in the right area..and it did.We were able to get pretty damn close to what we wanted.BUT...I am not confident that that is the correct way to go about it. I would assume that doing that may screw up the Dimension long term....Not sure though.Thanks in advance for any advice....Besides...Get out of printing!!!

Assuming that in the RIPped file that the dots appear "correctly" (allowing for normal calibration - but not so a 50% dot looks like an 11% dot as you mentioned), then turning down the laser power doesn't seem unreasonable - but it's very tough to tell without hands-on. The Presstek plates are ablative/positive working - meaning that you're blasting away the background with the laser. If you're overexposing, you'll remove too much material, making your small dots disappear, and large ones get too small. The higher the screening (the smaller the dot) the more noticable this is, making exposure very critical for this type of work.

However, if you turn it down too much you won't have enough power to fully clean out the background which can result in toning on press, plugged up shadows, or random spots.

Good luck!

Kevin.

Todd,

You need to establish if the optics on the Dimension 400 are suitable for FM (is the laser spot size small enough to generate what micron size spot you desire). Another variable is the plate itself, does it have the resolution to maintain FM spots and maintain them consistently. The linearity of the plate will also come into play as to whether you can get the proper exposure. Kevin gives a good example on how the exposure will effect the plate. The question is can the plate and CtP combination provide the desired results. I would recommend you ask Presstek what the specifications are and has FM been certified on this combination. I did not see them posted on their website but may have missed it.

With 2nd order FM, the spots size you choose is what you will get up to about 15% until it makes the transition to larger size. The tighter the clusters determine the additional shape you receive. So if you choose 20 micron, it will be 20 micron spot up to around 15%. As you go from 1% to say 5%, they are all 20 micron but you have a tighter cluster at 5% and tighter at 10%. So if you can not hold a 20 micron, you will be missing from 1% to about 15%.

You may also consider a Hybrid Screening. You still will need to control the exposure for the Highlights and Shadows but depending on screen ruling, the transition in spots size to AM will be less than the FM.

But before you spend too much time, find out if the CtP and plate are certified to image the FM. If not, you may be chasing your tail. If they are, then Presstek should be able to guide you on set up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information...Very helpful...I will contact presstek and see what they can tell me.I also have the folks that upgraded the rip coming in soon.They are the ones that told us that with the combo we are using,would be able to handle FM.... What a great resorce this site is. Wish I had this kind of info at my fingertips when I started in prepress back in the late 80's...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back