Stock counts???

tomatron

Any suggestions on how to get more accurate sheet counts to press. I have been working at the same shop for 21 years and our prepress cutting has always struggled with giving accurate counts to press.
They have a chart that tells them how many sheets per inch eg. 100lb gloss = 210 per inch.

This system doesn't seem to work very well as we have had many different prepress cutter operators over the years and never had accurate counts, so time to find a better way.

how about a pallet jack with a scale built in?

Another thought, does the chart they have take into account different brands of stock (assuming that you use different brands regularly) perhaps one brand mic's out at 0.010" per sheet of 100# and another brand is 0.0105" ....just a thought

Last edited:
We have customers that are very count aware so for years we have been using the vacumatic type of counters - but lately we have been picking up counters at auctions similar to the following:

Brecknell 60 lb. Digital Counting Scale | Staples®

now we have 3 or 4 of them one by each cutter and some scattered around the shop where ever you might need to get a good count. Our guys love then!!!!:)

Am I missing something here? Our un wrapped palleted paper is delivered flaged in 250s or 500. Our wraped paper has qty of sheets on the label. Simple qty of sheets x how many sheets cut out of the size = qauntity.... as a press operator I manually flag the runs depending on substrate weight in 250s or 500. Gets a bit tedious on 100000+ run letter heads. And worse still if you have a 50000 run of pads when your manually flagging in 100s. But saves bindery having to use the manual splade etc.

Inch count. What ever the stock mics. at is how may inches a thousand sheets would be. 80# book mics at .004, so every 4" would be a thousand sheets.

Any suggestions on how to get more accurate sheet counts to press. I have been working at the same shop for 21 years and our prepress cutting has always struggled with giving accurate counts to press.
They have a chart that tells them how many sheets per inch eg. 100lb gloss = 210 per inch.

This system doesn't seem to work very well as we have had many different prepress cutter operators over the years and never had accurate counts, so time to find a better way.

The question that none of us has asked you is this: How much paper and what kind do you need counted in a day?

If the answer is 400 lots of 500 to 3,000 letterheads each, you will probably need a different system from 40,000 sheets of parent size cover paper at one time.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back