Strange Error in Photoshop CS5

pacart

"photoshop can only decode FAX encoded images up to 32767 pixels wide or tall."

So i get the above error message when i try to open the bitmap image that is created by my Nexus 9.0.3 rip for the plates. The file is a bitmap tif file.

Anybody run into this, is there a fix? CS3 opens the file just fine, but it does mention the pixel ratio as being different than the default.

So i get the above error message when i try to open the bitmap image that is created by my Nexus 9.0.3 rip for the plates. The file is a bitmap tif file.
A 28 inches (71 cm) width plate ripped at 2400 dpi needs a bitmap image with 67200 pixels in its width... but Photoshop can handle only 32767 pixels maximum, and 67200 is more than twice its 32767 up-limit!!!

Last edited:
Then how is it that Photoshop CS3 opens the file just fine? The only thing i have to do is adjust the pixel ratio. Is something different in CS5?

Is there a way to increase the pixel maximum by disabling some other features in CS5? I am having to use CS4 to open Prinergy generated tifs. The majority of our files are too big for CS5. I hope someone has a work-around.

I remember some large format plug in? Check your goodies folder (or some other folder on install) on your install disk, I think there was something about large format support (don't have a disk with me, just going on a memory so may be wrong)

i Got it! With a bunch of help from Dave at Esko, the problem with the file is not the size (33495 x 48496 @ 2540dpi) The problem was the compression that nexus was using. I was using CCITT G4 - guess photoshop doesn't like it, so Dave suggested i use a different compress. I switched to LZW and now the files open just fine. Thanks Dave!

Excellent! I tried LZW - bigger file, but not by too much - and it works fine with Tiff Assembler.

Is there a way of changing a CCITT file to LZW without opening it, or is that too much to hope for?

Is there a way of changing a CCITT file to LZW without opening it, or is that too much to hope for?

I don't think so. sorry. I could be wrong though, it has happened before:)

... the problem with the file is not the size (33495 x 48496 @ 2540dpi)...
(...)
... now the files open just fine.
But 48496 is over 32767! how can Photoshop handle a number of pixels that exceed its maximum??? :confused::confused:

(33495 x 48496 @ 2540dpi is a 13,2 x 19,1 inches image... is it for a GTO?)

well i think you are missing a zero, i am able to create an image that is 300000 x 300000 @ 300dpi in CS5, then the dialogue box pops up and says it may not be compatible with older versions of photoshop.

well i think you are missing a zero...
No, no, I don't... but now I understand why you get this warning : "photoshop can only decode FAX encoded images up to 32767 pixels wide or tall." that you quoted in your first message: when you try to open your Nexus CCITT compressed picture, Photoshop detects the CCITT compression and believes that it is a FAX encoded picture, cause the FAX encoding uses CCITT compression.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back