Stretching Films!!! what can we do???

4detching

We're printing pairs of films using an Acuset 800 image setter and a Agfa Rapiline 43 to develop the films. These films need to register perfectly as we are using them for acid etching but we are finding that they are stretching slightly so they dont fit together as they should.

We've tried lowering the temperature of the developer but that hasnt made any difference, we are thinking that it might be the image setter but we dont have the manuel. If anyone can shed any light on what the problem could be and how to fix it or if where we could a manuel from I'd be eternally grateful.

That imagesetter is a Capstan device, it's rated repeatability is +-1 mil over 8 consecutive 8"x13" images. If your film is larger or not imaged consecutively than your trying to exceed the capability of the imagesetter. I'm very skeptical that the processor is changing the film size since I've never seen that be the issue before. Below is the link I used to get the devices specs.

Agfa Accuset Series

Send one page of your job, open up both top covers and watch for a Tensioner arms movement during imaging.
If those arms move up and down - that's a signal "you will get a registration problem!"
Call experienced service for the Tensioner repair/adjustment.
The luckiest case for you - you have shrinked rubber rollers at TakeUp/Cutter side and that pair of rollers can't keep the film firmly.
Add some insulation tape (2 rounds each) in 3 points (left, center, right) of top rubber roller to resolve the problem temporarily.

Last edited:
I haven't used film in years but I do remember that a high drier temp changed the size also. I also remember that each brand of film had different size consistency. We went to fuji for that reason alone.

we used to have - a long time ago an agfa 9600 Capstan imagesetter and they had a setting for TDC as I recall . .. it would waste a little film but it would start the imaging with the Capstan roller at the same setting to compensate for any out of roundness by making the mechanical device start in the same spot every time . . . just a thought

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back