Strike thru varnish w/UV coating and perfecting

Are there any other printers out there perfecting strike thru dull varnish with UV coating? This is running 4cp (UV) and strike thru (conventional dull varnish) with UV gloss coating on both sides in one pass.

We've been able to run it, but very slow (8000 iph) and stopping a lot to clean back cylinders. I'm curious if anyone else is having more success with this, and/or if there's a full UV strike thru product (not reticulation) that comes out of the delivery cured.

So far we've asked our ink vendors for something like this and they've sent us a variety of reticulation varnish, none of which produces the same effect as our conventional dull varnish used with UV coating.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gibbon inks has a line of UV cured varnishes if you have the option of placing lamps after the units running the varnish.

The problem isn't finding a UV cured varnish; we're already using those in different processes successfully.

I'm looking for a UV strike-through varnish; one that reacts with the coating to achieve gloss-dull effects AND cures the way UV inks and varnishes do. Right now we're laying down a wet dull varnish over dry ink, perfecting the sheet and dragging it through six more units and an extended delivery. That varnish still has to dry the way conventional inks do. Obviously this will create problems. If we could somehow cure the varnish and still maintain the same gloss-dull levels our efficiencies would be drastically improved.

So, if the varnish is UV cured prior to coating, does it no longer react with the coating to maintain the dull areas?

You must be using the Kelstar product #18 ? One option to look at, which is not as glossy - depending on anilox roller size and type of gloss coating, you could try a UV matte varnish and a AQ gloss coating. You achieve the same effect, but the gloss is not as shiny.

We run strike thru all the time uv and waterbase coating .Prisco 109f uv and 1214 strike thru varnishwork very well .

I'm very curious about this process, what is causing you to run so slow, and why do you have to clean imp. cylinders so often ? ( I.E. picking, piling ). I assume you have jackets on that press. and it sounds like you want to put a U.V. strike through on the first side or bottom side, but your ink vendor is only giving you a reticulating varnish. There are U.V. non-reticulating strike through varnishes out there but even these will try to reticulate if they are not lamped before the first coater. That is the key, an interdeck has to be in place, after the last prinitng unit ( varnish ), before the first coater. Otherwise it seems like we are not dealing a true strike trough, it's more of a gloss back. Also I'm sure you want to keep this process 100% U.V. anyway.................... Just my two cents

The problem is that the varnish we're using is CONVENTIONAL and cannot be cured by UV lamps. I have yet to see a non-reticulating UV varnish that when applied to a sheet and UV coated produces the same effect. We often put down our gloss UV coating and a matte/dull UV varnish on top for gloss-dull contrast... but we can't do this on both sides of the sheet at once and it also doesn't yield the wax-like effect that customers seem to like about our strike through process. If we put the UV varnish down and cure it before coating it produces no desired affect.

If there is a non-reticulating full UV strike thru varnish out there, I'd really like to know who makes it and what it's called/product ID#.

Thanks

Uv strike thru is not dry coming into your delivery there is post cure because of the oil based varnish and will pick on a prefecting press .It takes 1/2 to dry well enough on a straight press to back up with out marking . Reticulating Varnish for me is the textured is give you a bumpy look. The UV is a wax free product and the varnish is a high silicone product . We do a fair bit of strike thru conventionally on our eight color only problem is we use ink train coating and a special strike thru varn .This picks like a bitch on our back ups one reason is it takes much longer to dry and our jacket are pooched. When running strike thru the UV we do not cure the varnish the Uv coating wet traps on the varnish it look really good . Let me know if you need info on any products .BM

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back