Subset Finishing with Fiery

ReproElectroProspero

Greetings all,

Got a problem I'm having trouble figuring out and was hoping I could pick your brain.

I have a job we run around once per year, that used to be quite easy on our Xerox machines. However, we're in our first few months using Fiery and it is no longer as easy to figure out.

It involves a custom subset of every 4 pages.
---Page 1 - Simplex, Stock1
---Page 2 - Simplex, Stock2
---Page 3/4 - Duplex, Stock3

I can get this to work without issue if I'm only printing 4 pages using the mixed media settings. I set the main job properties to use Stock2, then define a simplex front cover using Stock1 and a duplex back cover using Stock3.

However, I can not for the life of me figure out how to apply custom subsets on these new Fiery machines. My job is 10,000 pages...I do not want to have to go into Mixed Media Properties and define Pages 1,5,9,13,etc for Stock 1, Pages 2,6,10,14,etc for Stock2, etc etc.

I tried looking at the settings in JobMaster/Impose/Compose - but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to define it so that it automatically applies these 4 page settings all the way through the document. I'm hoping to figure out a way to define a subset and have the front cover/back paper settings defined automatically, every 4 impressions, though the whole document.

Thanks for any tips you can share!

I don’t use this feature so I can’t promise it works like you ask. But on my end: Select job - compose. Right click page - create subset. This unlocks the set definition option in the settings window.

I just learned this since I had a really weird NCR VDP job.

Mixed Media > New Page range. Define your stock settings for each of your first 3 sheets.
After that click the "VDP" tab, and click "set record length" and tell it 3.
Now it will repeat your settings for the entire job.
Each "record" is a set of 3 pages now.
Do a proof set for the first 3 records or so to make sure it worked properly, but you should be good to go.

I don’t use this feature so I can’t promise it works like you ask. But on my end: Select job - compose. Right click page - create subset. This unlocks the set definition option in the settings window.
I am so confused by CWS sometimes. I used to have Compose in the right click menu, but since updating to CWS 7, I no longer have Compose as an option there. I can open up JobMaster and find Compose options there, but nothing that helps me define subsets is there. But nameless had the fix!

I just learned this since I had a really weird NCR VDP job.

Mixed Media > New Page range. Define your stock settings for each of your first 3 sheets.
After that click the "VDP" tab, and click "set record length" and tell it 3.
Now it will repeat your settings for the entire job.
Each "record" is a set of 3 pages now.
Do a proof set for the first 3 records or so to make sure it worked properly, but you should be good to go.
Thank you so much!! This VDP tab setting is what I was missing! I didn't think to check there. Likely didn't help that I was programming a "front cover" and "back cover" instead of defining specific page ranges. I deleted what I was doing and followed your instructions to the letter - and it worked perfectly! You are the best, I appreciate the assist.

I am so confused by CWS sometimes. I used to have Compose in the right click menu, but since updating to CWS 7, I no longer have Compose as an option there. I can open up JobMaster and find Compose options there, but nothing that helps me define subsets is there. But nameless had the fix!

Thank you so much!! This VDP tab setting is what I was missing! I didn't think to check there. Likely didn't help that I was programming a "front cover" and "back cover" instead of defining specific page ranges. I deleted what I was doing and followed your instructions to the letter - and it worked perfectly! You are the best, I appreciate the assist.
Happy to help!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back