Suggestions and Input on a HP DesignJet 3500CP. Trash or Keep? Why?

adguybh

I inherited a ancient HP DesignJet 3500CP. It has short printhead lifespan, you have to replace ink, heads and cleaning buckets when ink runs out and it has constant errors, not to mention high psqf costs. I am having problems with it now and no one wants to service it or find out what is wrong. Should I suggest to the company that they trash it and get a new one. Ther person who bought it didn't know it was a POS. If so, anybody have any real life experience on better production aqeous 44" printers. Need a dependable one that is simple and cost effective for in-house print jobs. Thanks all.

unless you print a lot the print head reliability and cost will annoy you and make this printer series highly inefficient (Info: 2000CP/2500CP/2800CP is the 36" model, 3000CP/3500CP/3800CP is the 54" model - differences: x000CP is the base model, x500CP has a built-in Adobe Level2 RIP chip and x800CP use an external Fiery LX - the machine is around 15 years old, with an expected life cycle of 5 years!).
The successor models 5000 and then 5500 were much more dependable, in fact so dependable that most are still being used in some cases outliving their successors z6100/z6200/z5200. Models of the 5000/5500 use a completely different naming (in fact their naming structure became standard for HP from then on): the 5000 was available in 42" and 60" and the PostScript option came with an internal HDD and the model was simply named 5000PS. A model change included a heater on the output, some changes to the mainboard and a darker gray for the plastic panels and a name change from 5000 to 5500.
The 5500 has been retired around 5 years ago, but models are still widely used in the business.

Current models you might want to have a look at:
- HP Designjet z5200, z6100, z6200
- Epson Stylus Pro 9700, 9890, 9900 (= 4c, 8c, 10c models)
- Canon iPF 815/825 (5c), iPF 8000 (8c), iPF 8300 (12c)
All above are 44" models, smaller or larger models are also available. Epson models have permanent print heads (replace after a few years by Epson service), the others have user replaceable long life print heads, which typically last > 10 ink sets.
Printer models vary in the amount of different inks they use. 4c models use only CMYK, which makes them very fast and cheap to operate and are great for posters, but in highlights you can see the dot structure.
6c-8c models use light inks like light-cyan and light-magenta (plus 2 additional gray on the 9890) to hide the dot structure in highlights providing photo quality (yes, you can cut the prints down to wallet size and they still look like photos - in fact many super-markets with in-house photo labs use these printers to produce posters).
Models like z6200, SP9900 and iPF8300 use additional Red, Orange+Green or Red+Green+Blue to increase the gamut for matching spot colors or producing even more vibrant photos. From your description I doubt that these functions are important to you.
Something else noteworthy: several of the above models use internal color measuring devices (or add-on modules) to measure the color appearance of what they print. Proofing or photo reproduction can greatly benefit from getting "colors just right". In most cases though you might need additional tools and software (sometimes 3rd party) to take advantage of this feature.
Hope this helps - Juergen

Thanks for the input Juergen. It does help to affirm the need to replace this printer. I am also debating whether to go aqueous or solvent. I know solvent opens up a whole other can of worms for cleaning and maintenance. Also, the new low solvent based eco inks are a possibility.
Thanks again.

Eco Solvent or UV inks offer a completely different usage scenario. These are for displays, signage and definitely commercial use (= you'd sell the prints and produce lots). Neither would make any sense for printing only a few prints a day (half your ink costs would be just for cleaning cycles!)
Older "smelly" solvents are already outlawed in many countries and I would not recommend buying a used one for health reasons. You'd also need powerful air extraction to get the air from the unit and filtered before it gets released from your building. This might still be necessary on some UV or Eco-Solvent machines depending on type or volume.
If the 3500CP fit your bill in the past - except for the maintenance and quality problems - then I think you'd be happiest with one of the aqueous models from Canon, Epson or HP I mentioned above. The 6-8c models (like 9890/iPF8000) might give you what you want: high quality, great reliability, easy maintenance and very clean / no smells. Also a huge variety of inkjet substrates to print on. Production can be anything from drawings and indoor posters to photos.
If you want to go "outdoors" you'll need solvent or UV, but this is only a solution if you do high volumes (= commercial use) or is of an extremely sensitive nature so you can't outsource it and cost is secondary (e.g. military mapping, product prototyping, ...)

Not sure if this is the place to pose this question but here goes....We are trying to print a two sided piece on SpeakerMesh BO material on our LX3600. I am told that due to the mesh properties we need to install ink catchers that collect ink coming through the mesh and that these catchers block the sensor that allows for two sided registration. My question is is there any way to manually register the back-up? I do not operate this printer but my prior years as an operator/pressman in offset and digital makes me think this should be doable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back