Suggestions for hand-held spectro

Luc St-Pierre

I am looking for an economical hand-held spectro I could suggest to my customers (pressmen).
Density, Lab, Lch, dot gain, 1 reading at a time.
Thank you

the eyeone is well known, versatile and supported with online training etc so you will not have difficulty with support if you recommend it
edwin

Techkon SpectroDens !!!!

Techkon SpectroDens !!!!

If I were in the market for a new spectro it would be the Techkon Spectrodens.

This is so nice and fast, it blows away my X Rite 528......the Spectrodens is on my Christmas wish list !

I have had the pleasure of testing one out and I really hate to give it back !

Its ease of use and all the options.....ISO Check ....Gray guide and Expresso Mini are necessities
when your reading press sheets all day !!

Did I say its Fast.....Fast and Easy to use !

John R

the eyeone is well known, versatile and supported with online training etc so you will not have difficulty with support if you recommend it
edwin

I disagree. As much as i1 is cheap and easy it requires a computer, monitor and software to run it. Xrite ot Techkon units are much better as they don't require anything else. They are computers, that's why they cost more than i1 pro.

I disagree. As much as i1 is cheap and easy it requires a computer, monitor and software to run it. Xrite ot Techkon units are much better as they don't require anything else. They are computers, that's why they cost more than i1 pro.

For those that prefer a non-tethered device, Techkon and Xrite both make great instruments. The i1 does require connection to a computer, but this can offer some pretty big benefits. For instance, if you have the ability to place a small colorbar vertically in the gutter of the press form, you can scan the entire strip and verify confromance or deviation. From a standard or specification in one swipe. Not to mention gather trending data that is often more beneficial than any one measurment. Of course, you need supporting software to do this as well (colormetrix, spoton!, presssign, mellowcolour' etc.).

Of course, you need supporting software to do this as well (colormetrix, spoton!, presssign, mellowcolour' etc.).

And by etc. I mean RapidCheck and RapidCheck Go from GMG. See Stargate's post on the free utility. This makes the i1 a nice process control tool.

GMG RapidCheck GO

GMG RapidCheck GO

And by etc. I mean RapidCheck and RapidCheck Go from GMG. See Stargate's post on the free utility. This makes the i1 a nice process control tool.

You are right Mike. Now if you have i1 and FREE GMG Rapid Check GO you just need any decent PC with USB port. No need to pay for any other software or software service.

Derek

The i1 does require connection to a computer, but this can offer some pretty big benefits. For instance, if you have the ability to place a small colorbar vertically in the gutter of the press form, you can scan the entire strip and verify confromance or deviation. From a standard or specification in one swipe. Not to mention gather trending data that is often more beneficial than any one measurment.).

I use a XRite DTP-45 here and it came with XRite's Colorport software which allows you to create/read your colorbars and export the results (Lab/Density) as CSV. While it has to be connected to a computer, you can remove the unit from it's base for spot readings.

If I were in the market for a new spectro it would be the Techkon Spectrodens.

This is so nice and fast, it blows away my X Rite 528......the Spectrodens is on my Christmas wish list !

I have had the pleasure of testing one out and I really hate to give it back !

Its ease of use and all the options.....ISO Check ....Gray guide and Expresso Mini are necessities
when your reading press sheets all day !!

Did I say its Fast.....Fast and Easy to use !

John R

Your absolutly right the techkon spectrodens is very rugged and reliable and it doesnt need a computer
I was thinking of the ' customer ' term rather than the ' pressmen' term
edwin

I am looking for an economical hand-held spectro I could suggest to my customers (pressmen).
Density, Lab, Lch, dot gain, 1 reading at a time.
Thank you

if you are based in Montreal i would recommend an X-Rite device like the 528 that has a French interface and a local tech-rep.
Also most of X-Rite dealers in the Montreal area can show you how a 528 works.....and how to adjust the speed.

Spectro for Pressroom

Spectro for Pressroom

I sell both X-Rite and Techkon, so I'm pretty brand-neutral. The Spectrodens is a very attractive instrument and a joy to use--it lacks nothing. The 528 is also feature-rich, rugged, a bit bulkier (though still compact enough), and has a more robust service and parts infrastructure behind it. You can't lose with either instrument.

And also buy an EyeOne for strip reading.

Mike Strickler
MSP Graphic Services

cheapest is FAG CX, it is ok for enduser level, fast read out no need to use charge, only need two AA battary. 528 is most popular, price high, Techkon is more compact as compare to 528

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back