Tab cutting

bcr

i normally get blank tabs delivered from an overseas supplier as we can't source them all locally. that supplier is not responding at the moment which got me thinking about whether we could cut our own tabs.

i looked at some options for tab cutters, including the JBI Onglematic 5.

Productivity is not that great at a claimed 500 tabs per hour.

I then was wondering if there is an improvised way of doing this? Some kind of cutting machine that can be adjusted to cut at set depths horizontally and vertically. I'm probably overthinking this.

Look at the Onglematic 7 or it’s predecessor the Onglematic 6P+GP, we have the latter. It takes up little space on the back of the bench, and is programmable. No air required, no setup time or tooling and will throughput a good couple of thousand tabs per hour. They don’t come up very often and get snapped up quickly when they do.

Reactions: bcr
We just use dies on our Heidelberg Cylinder for custom tabs. The machines aren't very expensive and they are pretty fast.

Last edited:
We us the Duplo Digital Die Cutter. We have a Scott tab cutter but since we got the die cutter that seems to be the way to go.

1656072147542.png

We us the Duplo Digital Die Cutter. We have a Scott tab cutter but since we got the die cutter that seems to be the way to go.

View attachment 291397
On the downside that would be much slower than the Onglematic 5 hand cutter the OP linked to in the first post, however on the upside, it is automated so you can walk away and let it run and you can design whatever style of tab you want on the fly, whereas on all the Onglematics you generally commit to one style and buy the corner die for that pattern.

The Scott tab cutters seem to be the way if you're doing thousands of tabs on a regular basis. Before getting the Onglematic 6P+GP, the finishing house that did our tab cutting used a Scott. Being able to make small quantities and samples for trial/client approval are a big advantage of both your Duplo - we have the same machine (Veloblade) from Vivid - or indeed the Onglematics.

We used a Scott much fancier than above…but we cut and mylar’d tabs by the thousands every day.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back