Text Dropped out????

I got a job that we do every Tuesday. It has its problems with transparencies so we built a Flatten process in Acrobat 9's Batch Processing. In the output setting we are using Fast Web View, and PDF Optimizer. In the Optimizer Settings everything is turned off except for Transparency.

So here is the problem the customer's files are never on time and we turn and burn because it goes on press that day. Customer doesnt send proofs we proof our own and because of timing we use lasers from our laser printer to check bluelines. Well we had two that wouldnt print unless we flattten them so we did come to find out it dropped the text on the top of the page. it matched the blueline alright, with text drooped out.

I want to know why it is doing this and how to fix please help???

P.S. if you would like to see the image give email couldnt get page to load up as attachment..

Thanks,
Manny S.

Last edited:
If your printing from raw acrobat files (with no preflight) I'd hazard a guess it's white text set to overprint.

Maybe try printing as an Image from Acrobat so the rip on the laser printer wont have to rasterize the pdf.

Kool Thx Wolfie that worked for the lasers now just need to figure out why its dropping in batch processing. forgot to mention in addition to the Flatten process we run it through a Knockout white droplet which (sets white text and vector objects to knockout.

Our RIP sets white to knock out aswell, unfortunately if that white has even .01% colour in it, it ignores it. Cought me out a few times it has.

If the file does not have spot colors in it you can just rasterize it in photoshop, flatten then resave. This is a quick fix that you can do for just that customer every time they send files in. Its a good way to make sure you do not have anything drop off.

Suspect it could be a memory issue. I have seen info lost on PDF files that we have sent to be printed digitally. Last time I did a Correl job had to flatten it to get it to render, Good info on how to handle transparency, colour managemant and PDFx in that software is hard to come by.

You can tray Callas pdfToolbox to see if there is any font corruptions in the PDF by running the inventory report. You'd also be able to set the whites to knock out.

Just as an FYI, you may also want to consider preflighting before you make the PDF's with Markzware's FlightCheck Professional or similar. It will catch and warn you of Transparency usage before generating a PDF so that you can either seek permission to get rid of it, or adjust settings if needed.

Friendly Regards,
David Dilling
Markzware

There could be a box or something you aren't seeing that is placed over the text so when it flattens it covers up the white. There is a function in PitStop that will let you globally fix the overprint issue if this is it. If you have an Illustrator file you could also take all your vector text and cut it, rasterize the other parts and then paste the text back in front. You text will remain vector and be on top and the rest will be rasterized so you won't have transparency issues. Good luck!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back