The best 'do-it-all' imposing software for Switch?

Magnus

Hi, we are a mid-size printer that are looking for a new imposing software to use with Enfocus Switch. We do sheet-fed digital printing (SRA3), web-fed digital printing, sheet-fed offset and large format printing. Today we use different imposing software for the different output's, but we are looking at streamlining the imposing process with Switch.

This is some of the features that we would like:
• Possible to use PDF/X-4-files (mixed RGB + CMYK)
• Rule based imposition with metadata/XML
• Applying barcodes and other marks
• Creeping/shingling (scale inwards)
• True shape tiling/nesting
• NOT based on static imposition templates
• Fast
• Dynamic

Any suggestions?

From my knowledge you have two main options Magnus. Tilia and Ultimate.
They are the only two who do conventional imposition and nesting of irregular shapes.

I don't have enough product knowledge to comment on your other requirements.

I'm in agreement with abc. I know from using Ultimate Impostrip Automation and Scalable that all of those conditions are met. That being said, I would look at Tilia Labs, focusing on nesting. Get some demos. It would be interesting to hear which solution you choose.

I don't think there's an official Switch integration for Imp. It's not that it couldn't happen, just that it hasn't happened yet.
Tilia and Ultimate have official Switch apps or configurators.

Insoft Automation's Imp is a fantastic product and I have successfully fully integrated into switch.

Currently imposing 300+ individual jobs a day for 3x HP Indigo sheetfed (SRA3 and B2), 1x HP Indigo web (our label product line) and a B1 XL106 and then our daily gang runs for a few of the more popular products we offer online.

It is a very customisable product one example is for our saddle stitched bound work Imp is aware of the finishing kits spec and will adjust any sheet excess left and add it to gutters taking into consideration min/max lap and max trim off allowed. If it reaches max trim off for sheetwork signatures it will offset the entire layout to the lay edge to help reduce cuts. That is just one example it is does so much more than this.

I will also add that we have now not had a pre-press dept for impositions for more than 2 year now, we have 2 artwork checkers to liaise with customers when job fails the product ordered preflight profile.
We have gone from pre-pressing 50 jobs a day with two full time repro guys to 300+ jobs a day with zero prepress and instead artwork checkers that work in a customer services role.

Imp allows you to fully define the job in xml and this makes a big difference with how many hot folders you end up with.
Imp does not have any templates either :) You train the software and teach it the standards required for finishing.

Hope this is found to be useful information.

Last edited:
Hi, we are a mid-size printer that are looking for a new imposing software to use with Enfocus Switch. We do sheet-fed digital printing (SRA3), web-fed digital printing, sheet-fed offset and large format printing. Today we use different imposing software for the different output's, but we are looking at streamlining the imposing process with Switch.

• Fast
• Dynamic

Any suggestions?
@andykent
Phoenix (Imposition and Planning software by Tilia Labs) can do all of the above. Dynamic, true-shape nesting, conventional bookwork impositoining, costing, cut-time estimations, no templates, etc... I would be happy to arrange a demo for you -- send me a direct message if you're interested in learning more!

Insoft Automation's Imp is a fantastic product and I have successfully fully integrated into switch.

Currently imposing 300+ individual jobs a day for 3x HP Indigo sheetfed (SRA3 and B2), 1x HP Indigo web (our label product line) and a B1 XL106 and then our daily gang runs for a few of the more popular products we offer online.

It is a very customisable product one example is for our saddle stitched bound work Imp is aware of the finishing kits spec and will adjust any sheet excess left and add it to gutters taking into consideration min/max lap and max trim off allowed. If it reaches max trim off for sheetwork signatures it will offset the entire layout to the lay edge to help reduce cuts. That is just one example it is does so much more than this.

I will also add that we have now not had a pre-press dept for impositions for more than 2 year now, we have 2 artwork checkers to liaise with customers when job fails the product ordered preflight profile.
We have gone from pre-pressing 50 jobs a day with two full time repro guys to 300+ jobs a day with zero prepress and instead artwork checkers that work in a customer services role.

Imp allows you to fully define the job in xml and this makes a big difference with how many hot folders you end up with.
Imp does not have any templates either :) You train the software and teach it the standards required for finishing.

Hope this is found to be useful information.
Feedback and update from an user of the product is the best reliable source. Thanks very much Andy for frank expression of your satisfaction with Imp software. I must also mention that you pushed us with feedback with suggestions on refinements in our features. It is users like you who helped make our software better and better. With gratitude.....Santosh Mulay

• Fast
• Dynamic

Any suggestions?
Hello Magnus,
Can you please make an hour for an online demo of our software. Do write to me at [email protected]

We have integrated Insoft IMP and IMP Flow with Enfocus Switch many times @Magnus, you can find more information here:

It might also be worth contacting your local Callas pdfToolbox reseller as the imposition engine behind pdfToolbox is very powerful on its own and scripted within Switch

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back