The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment in US

Armya Inc

The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment
Feb 3, 2015

Here’s something that many Americans -- including some of the smartest and most educated among us -- don’t know: The official unemployment rate, as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor, is extremely misleading.

Right now, we’re hearing much celebrating from the media, the White House and Wall Street about how unemployment is “down” to 5.6%. The cheerleading for this number is deafening. The media loves a comeback story, the White House wants to score political points and Wall Street would like you to stay in the market.

None of them will tell you this: If you, a family member or anyone is unemployed and has subsequently given up on finding a job -- if you are so hopelessly out of work that you’ve stopped looking over the past four weeks -- the Department of Labor doesn’t count you as unemployed. That’s right. While you are as unemployed as one can possibly be, and tragically may never find work again, you are not counted in the figure we see relentlessly in the news -- currently 5.6%. Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed. Trust me, the vast majority of them aren’t throwing parties to toast “falling” unemployment.

There’s another reason why the official rate is misleading. Say you’re an out-of-work engineer or healthcare worker or construction worker or retail manager: If you perform a minimum of one hour of work in a week and are paid at least $20 -- maybe someone pays you to mow their lawn -- you’re not officially counted as unemployed in the much-reported 5.6%. Few Americans know this.

Yet another figure of importance that doesn’t get much press: those working part time but wanting full-time work. If you have a degree in chemistry or math and are working 10 hours part time because it is all you can find -- in other words, you are severely underemployed -- the government doesn’t count you in the 5.6%. Few Americans know this.

There’s no other way to say this. The official unemployment rate, which cruelly overlooks the suffering of the long-term and often permanently unemployed as well as the depressingly underemployed, amounts to a Big Lie.

And it’s a lie that has consequences, because the great American dream is to have a good job, and in recent years, America has failed to deliver that dream more than it has at any time in recent memory. A good job is an individual’s primary identity, their very self-worth, their dignity -- it establishes the relationship they have with their friends, community and country. When we fail to deliver a good job that fits a citizen’s talents, training and experience, we are failing the great American dream.

Gallup defines a good job as 30+ hours per week for an organization that provides a regular paycheck. Right now, the U.S. is delivering at a staggeringly low rate of 44%, which is the number of full-time jobs as a percent of the adult population, 18 years and older. We need that to be 50% and a bare minimum of 10 million new, good jobs to replenish America’s middle class.

I hear all the time that “unemployment is greatly reduced, but the people aren’t feeling it.” When the media, talking heads, the White House and Wall Street start reporting the truth -- the percent of Americans in good jobs; jobs that are full time and real -- then we will quit wondering why Americans aren’t “feeling” something that doesn’t remotely reflect the reality in their lives. And we will also quit wondering what hollowed out the middle class.

By Jim Clifton is Chairman and CEO of Gallup

Anyone who's attended university and taken macroeconomics in the past 20 years (at least in the US) should already know this about unemployment figures. The real discussion in the US at least should really be centered on wage stagnation and workforce skills investment. Fewer workers are producing a lot more, faster and with fewer defects. However, broadly speaking these workers are not sharing in the profits and gains which are all trickling up to shareholders.

Here *my plant* we can't seem to find skilled labor and when we do they don't seem motivated enough to show up. I've seen multiple skilled positions where someone unemployed was hired and never showed up. Unskilled labor is even worse. There seems be a general apathy about wanting to work and taking pride in it. Perhaps the "protestant work ethic" is dead but I believe people aren't getting a large enough slice of the pie to feel fully invested. I have friends in other industries that aren't manufacturing based and they experience the same thing.

The one major outlier where I am is Ford. We have two plants in my city and much of the lowest-rung workers are getting ~30% raises (+$9 per hour) on the average on top of profit sharing bonuses. I'm ambivalent about organized labor but it cannot be overlooked that this just about the only major industry in my area with a strong union and yet somehow Ford is racking in huge profits.

Last edited:
One more group that skews the numbers: people who are rated as full-time employees but who keep getting short hours because of lack of work. File for partial unemployment and you may not have a job at all. Employers can always think of a good, fake reason to put down as to why you were fired.

One more group that skews the numbers: people who are rated as full-time employees but who keep getting short hours because of lack of work. File for partial unemployment and you may not have a job at all. Employers can always think of a good, fake reason to put down as to why you were fired.

Sure but can they defend it in front of a jury of their peers, and or have the willpower/insurance/capital to go through a lengthy legal battle.

I believe almost nothing the news tells me. If there is a "study" that shows something I know it's total BS.

These shenanigans with not counting “discouraged” or “underemployed” workers goes back quite a ways to the days of Tricky Dicky trying to convince the country that it was in the midst of the “Nixon-Ford Prosperity“ by playing games with the statistics and making the unemployment percentage artificially low.

Yeah . . and entitlement used to mean that you were "entitled" to something not that it was charity or welfare . . . I like the old definitions that are based on truth not political expedience . . . . :)

These shenanigans with not counting “discouraged” or “underemployed” workers goes back quite a ways to the days of Tricky Dicky trying to convince the country that it was in the midst of the “Nixon-Ford Prosperity“ by playing games with the statistics and making the unemployment percentage artificially low.

Lets remove politics from the issue. The problem with not counting "discouraged and underemployed" in the context of today's environment is the quick and large change in the amount of people who are discouraged and underemployed. 5.6% unemployment rate yet 37% of the non-institutionalized people are under or unemployed.

Gallup Daily: U.S. Employment

Last edited:
Lets remove politics from the issue. The problem with not counting "discouraged and underemployed" in the context of today's environment is that the quick and large change in the amount of people who are discouraged and underemployed. 5.6% unemployment rate yet 37% of the non-institutionalized people are under or unemployed.
Actually it is indeed politics that drives this mishagoss, I don't care whether it is Republicans, Democrats, or whatever. Making the unemployment rate look artificially low is a tactic to make whatever administration is in power either look better or less worse than reality.

Actually it is indeed politics that drives this mishagoss, I don't care whether it is Republicans, Democrats, or whatever. Making the unemployment rate look artificially low is a tactic to make whatever administration is in power either look better or less worse than reality.

I guess that is more to my point. We shouldn't be concerned with how or what is being reported by the Federal Government, we should be more concerned by the reality. We can use other sources to find unmolested data, we don't need to take everything that the US Dept of Labor as the final word.

Sometimes (I believe most times) perception completely drives reality. Anyone in the software and graphics industry should especially realize that and be attuned to it. Can you imagine if the real numbers had been squawked to the masses on TV during the height of the financial crisis? 15 - 20% unemployment... the DJI sank to Dec. 1996 levels at it's lowest point "we've lost more than a decade of generated wealth!"... etc.

I don't know whether I'd have the "real" numbers incite worse panic and potential revolution or have "tweaked" numbers lead to iterative change and/or leave the status quo to remain. It's not the honesty in the numbers so much that matter as much as how that is communicated and interpreted.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back