The Celebration

gordo

542 The Celebration.jpg

Funny. This is how I felt for 10 years leading up to the pandemic. I didn't even realize most phone cameras have native reading capability. But in the last 6 months I have used QRcodes about 10 times (mostly contactless ordering). Does anyone think this is a resurgence or a quick flash in the pan?

Funny. This is how I felt for 10 years leading up to the pandemic. I didn't even realize most phone cameras have native reading capability. But in the last 6 months I have used QRcodes about 10 times (mostly contactless ordering). Does anyone think this is a resurgence or a quick flash in the pan?

I don’t think you can have a resurgence of something that didn’t have a surgence in the first place LOL

A few years ago there was a span where quite a few customers wanted a QR Code on their business cards & promo pieces. It seemed to be a case of wanting to be 'on trend'. Monkey see, monkey do. Naturally realtors were all over it. I always wondered who the f__k gave that much of a s__t that they would bother to whip out their phone & scan the code there & then. As things turned out, apparently not that many.
People have by now pretty much removed the code from their material.
There's been lots of technology that's been put out there, just because they can. But because they can, doesn't always make it worthwhile or practical.

A few years ago there was a span where quite a few customers wanted a QR Code on their business cards & promo pieces. It seemed to be a case of wanting to be 'on trend'. Monkey see, monkey do. Naturally realtors were all over it. I always wondered who the f__k gave that much of a s__t that they would bother to whip out their phone & scan the code there & then. As things turned out, apparently not that many.
There's been lots of technology that's been put out there, just because they can. But because they can, doesn't always make it worthwhile or practical.
I've never understood why people don't put QR codes on their cards. Isn't the goal to get me to save your information? The odds of that are much better if I don't have to tell the reader app there isn't an "S" in your phone number.

The adoption was never met because Apple and Google failed to integrate an effective pathway for users to quickly interact with QR codes. NOW, it's built into your phone's camera and is easy to use, but that wasn't the case until 3-4 years AFTER it was being pushed as a hot item.

Edit: I think the QR codes would be extremely popular today if we had a quicker answer from Apple and Google.

The adoption was never met because Apple and Google failed to integrate an effective pathway for users to quickly interact with QR codes. NOW, it's built into your phone's camera and is easy to use, but that wasn't the case until 3-4 years AFTER it was being pushed as a hot item.

Edit: I think the QR codes would be extremely popular today if we had a quicker answer from Apple and Google.
Don't forget there was, and still is, a plethora of different code formats - each usually requiring its own dedicated proprietary reader to access whatever lay behind the code (e.g. an AR "experience"). I once had 7 different code readers on my phone. :p

i believe that QR codes will never catch up until it's at least as easy as scanning a code in the supermarket

Like anything, once it becomes part of the norm, humans will adapt to it as long as its quick and easy. Due to lockdown, those who didn't shop online have been nudged into that direction and if you don't have a website or social media presence it'll get harder to sell to new customers, just ask the kids!!!

It is as easy as scanning a code in the supermarket.
I think there’s an education issue here. I personally didn’t know that iPhones had the tech built into the camera until, maybe a month ago. The first time I tried using a QR code i had to download an app and it was clumsy and took forever. I didn’t make the attempt again until I saw someone else use their iPhone to do it quickly.

I think there’s an education issue here. I personally didn’t know that iPhones had the tech built into the camera until, maybe a month ago. The first time I tried using a QR code i had to download an app and it was clumsy and took forever. I didn’t make the attempt again until I saw someone else use their iPhone to do it quickly.
That is EXACTLY my point. It was integrated in one of the major OS updates for both Android and Apple, and it was lost in the sea of details because the 20 other major changes were newsworthy but who cares about QR codes 5 years after they died?

How so? You take your phone out and open an app and scan the code.
exactly. you yourself just described how complex it is. you need to:

-unlock the phone
-locate the app (camera or specialized app)
-open the app
-if it's camera, make sure it's in the right mode (not video/selfie etc.)
-carefully aim at QR code
-tap to scan

it's a labor-intensive cumbersome process that is also utterly boring. this process cannot even be called "scanning".

true efficient scanning of QR code would look like this:

-unlock the phone
-pass the phone over the QR code

that's it.

until then QR codes will never become popular.

exactly. you yourself just described how complex it is. you need to:

-unlock the phone
-locate the app (camera or specialized app)
-open the app
-if it's camera, make sure it's in the right mode (not video/selfie etc.)
-carefully aim at QR code
-tap to scan

it's a labor-intensive cumbersome process that is also utterly boring. this process cannot even be called "scanning".

true efficient scanning of QR code would look like this:

-unlock the phone
-pass the phone over the QR code

that's it.

until then QR codes will never become popular.
You forgot the bit where the QR code lands you on an irrelevant web page.

Ok so I was at a brewpub last night and the only way you could view the menu was by scanning a little qr code on the table on your phone, this was to minimize COVID exposure obviously. I pulled my phone out and opened the camera and it worked straight away. Didn't have to initiate any certain mode, just the camera.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back