The Consultant

Cory Smith

112-The-Consultant.png

We are building lights out digital smart factories that print things ordered via cloud based storefront and injecting approved orders into production. But someone has to set it up, manage exceptions and be sure the stuff gets shipped and invoiced.

manage exceptions
I almost fell out of my chair laughing. We can automate to our heart's content but until graphic designers stop designing with 15 spot colors with elements in 5 different color spaces across 3 color systems we'll still be "managing exceptions".

Gordo - Let's see a Re:print called "Managing Exceptions" :D

I was hired to co-sign a bad management decision. I could not do it. That consultation ended poorly. Their managers continue to cost the company money, and will most likely go ahead with their bad decisions. I left with my integrity, and to my relief, they paid me for my time. For their money I was able to diagnose several serious problems and provided a comprehensive 38-page report. I will not work for those managers again. Yuck.

I almost fell out of my chair laughing. We can automate to our heart's content but until graphic designers stop designing with 15 spot colors with elements in 5 different color spaces across 3 color systems we'll still be "managing exceptions".

If the PDF file is submitted in RGB or 15 spot colors, but the customer selected 4/0 - which means the XML that is injected a CMYK 4/0 - then the preflight system needs to either reject the job with some explanation like "color space does not match job ticket" - so the customer or designer knows what to do - or - the preflight system performs the Global Change / Action List / PitStop Server / Power Switch sort of thing, and converts the PDF into the required condition, regardless if the buyer or designer know - or care - about prepress minutiae

Enjoy your laugh. It is happening.

If the PDF file is submitted in RGB or 15 spot colors, but the customer selected 4/0 - which means the XML that is injected a CMYK 4/0 - then the preflight system needs to either reject the job with some explanation like "color space does not match job ticket" - so the customer or designer knows what to do - or - the preflight system performs the Global Change / Action List / PitStop Server / Power Switch sort of thing, and converts the PDF into the required condition, regardless if the buyer or designer know - or care - about prepress minutiae

Enjoy your laugh. It is happening.

It's happening and it pushes the expertise onto the weakest link (graphic designers and buyers). Drink Brawndo!

I've been on both sides of the graphic designer/printer fence (working in the trade show marketing and exhibiting industry), but it does seem to me that at least in the past, "exceptions" make up the majority of jobs. :)
And as to the original post/cartoon, it reminds me of the saying, "consultant is just another name for in-between-jobs / unemployed". No offense to any consultants out there; I've called myself a consultant in the past too. :)

~ pondering, the meaning of life ~
visit me at the Institute for Trade Show Marketing Excellence
http://www.tradeshowmarketingadvice.org/

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back