The Price of Newspapers

gordo

317%20The%20Price%20of%20Newspapers_zpsqukjfoza.jpg

Yeah, but, what with news at your fingertips through the net, newspapers are having a really tough time.

Still, maybe it's just my age, but, I thoroughly, enjoy my "quiet time" in the mornings at the breakfast nook. Nobody around except my newspaper and a hot cup of coffee. Ahhhh, paradise! I sincerely hope they never go away altogether.

Gannett trying to buy Tribune publishing for $15 a share, after already being rejected once. Total current offer = $864 Million. Somebody must know something about the value of newspaper publishing.

Long Live Print.

Yeah, I watch this one closely. I'm in Orlando, and, my newspaper (The Orlando Sentinel) is one of the properties owned by the Trib (Chicago Tribune). They also own newspapers in California (Los Angeles Times), South Florida (Sun Sentinel), and several other newspapers across the country. Not sure if Gannett is trying to get to the Newspapers, though. The Chicago Tribune also owns a bunch of TV & Radio stations, as well as some well-known Internet properties (I believe Careerbuilder.com is theirs)

I grew up in newspapers . . . and I for one am sorry to see them go . . . but then again I haven't bought one for years . . . my bad

What is killing newspaper is the irrelevant drivel crap that is not even worth printing in it, especially by Gannett. Day late and a dollar short. I for one am not paying to hear someone's "opinion".

The medium itself is very viable if used correctly.

Last edited:
As much as I love the physical medium itself, I do think the decline of newspapers and the power they hold (particularly in the UK) is a good thing. Having said that, a lot of the clickbait rubbish that's replacing them is pretty worrying too.

Last edited:
For me, newspaper is still a good source of finding new job opportunities.

Also, a very good source to find new clients.

Anyone willing to spend $5,000+ for a full color page ad, in a publication with decreasing circulation, will get a much better response rate and ROI with a direct mail drop. Especially, if it's done right with good creative, and, a more precise target than a newspaper.

At least, you already know they have the budget to spend, and, are not adverse to spending that money on advertising........................

Best use of newspaper here is for wrapping some food items like hot Naan (a type of bread), French Fries and burgers etc.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
You can't wrap your fish 'n chips in the digital edition. LOL

An old joke here,

Q: What is the difference between Radio and Newspaper?

A: You cant wrap Naan in Radio.

That's why I prefer printed Newspaper.....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back