The Rush Job

gordo

592 The Rush Job.jpg

Nothing wrong with this. Could be working prepress, using scheduled time to learn new skills, getting caught up on filing, or any number of other work processes that get bumped for this situation. Customers like this have never had to work a service/retail job imho.

Anytime I get a “I need it today or tomorrow” I generally tack on $50 rush fee unless it’s like a $5 job or something like that. Some take it and others give the ole “ill figure it out another way”

Anytime I get a “I need it today or tomorrow” I generally tack on $50 rush fee unless it’s like a $5 job or something like that. Some take it and others give the ole “ill figure it out another way”
or you get the..."Oh...I guess I can take it on Wednesday instead of Monday"

Nothing wrong with this. Could be working prepress, using scheduled time to learn new skills, getting caught up on filing, or any number of other work processes that get bumped for this situation. Customers like this have never had to work a service/retail job imho.

Wouldn't those conditions mean that the shop couldn't run any jobs rush or regular?

Wouldn't those conditions mean that the shop couldn't run any jobs rush or regular?
I wouldn't say so. In my neck of the woods, rush means I kick other stuff out of the way to do your job. That stuff doesn't necessarily have to be actual press-time, though it usually is.

I agree with what Repro says. If something is a rush job it means im dropping whatever it is im doing and getting the job done. So even if the press is idle im dropping invoicing, inventorying, etc and running that job on the press. Also could mean I have to go and pick up paper myself if its a special paper. So even though the press might not be running it doesn't mean the business isn't doing business functions. Honestly, if we didn't do outside printing jobs our press would only run 10 days/month or so. Maybe not even that much. But we cover all cost with those days of running for the month plus profit. So just because the press is idle doesn't mean you're losing money or that it wouldn't be a pain to run a rush job.

I couldn't tell you how many customers we had who just HAD to have their stuff before the weekend for an event. Of course they come in on Thursday afternoon all panicked. My joke is that they'll pick it up Tuesday after we rush to get it done. I've been right way too often.

We charge a rush fee because it’s a hassle and because it makes me less mad when the customer doesn’t show up for four days to pick up their “rush” job. At least if they paid the rush fee then I don’t care if they pick it up on whatever schedule makes them happy.
YEP....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back