The Wall

gordo

656 The Wall.jpg

Too bad. I'd rather have praise from one of my co-workers than my boss. My co-workers know what's what; bosses often don't.

Besides, knowing what you're doing right is just as important as knowing what you're doing wrong.

Every plate should have a QC scale (1x1 pixel) on it and both prepress and press should be trained on how to interpret it (which curve applied).
YES, prepress and press have traditionally fought like cats & dogs.
I think it's because of lack of management improvement process into solving problems quickly. When their is a problem, is it prepress or press? The scale on the plate AND color bars on the press sheet (what is TVI at fingerprint/profile SID) will provide the data to resolve.

YES, prepress and press have traditionally fought like cats & dogs.

Not necessarily fight - just ignorant of each other.
For example, when Creo had its joint venture with Heidelberg I went to Heidelberg's premier demo center in Kennesaw Georgia to train the press operators and prepress on our CtP. The press and prepress areas were separated by a clear glass wall. That way visitors could see the total Heidelberg solution. In talking to the operators I discovered that they never really spoke to one another - even though they could see each other through the glass wall. As a result, neither group knew how each could help the other achieve the best results. In my visits to hundreds of print shops in N. America, Europe and Southeast Asia I found that this was a pretty typical situation - two solitudes.
That was the inspiration for this week's 'toon.

Last edited:
I tried to find out what the next guy in the process needed to make the job go better. When we got into screen printing, I had a real good relationship with the screen printer. I learned enough about her job to see what made things easier for her. I'd also tell her where there might be a problem to watch for if there was something I just couldn't fix. I sure didn't want her job. We had the kind of shop in which the employees helped each other out and not so much working for the boss.

We have a collaborative approach, where press and prepress openly communicate to resolve any issues.
Prepress and sales however is another matter.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back