Thick Business Cards/Board??

Hi All,

I am hoping to start printing on much thicker business card stock. I have seen the 3 layer paper board and was wondering if anyone knew where to purchase that or has a list of good paper vendors that offer "thicker" board type. My new Ricoh 9200 can take up to 470 GSM and my die-cut machine around the same. Just don't know where the heck to find this nice board like type material!!

TIA!

From my experience, 3 layer paper board is always multiple sheets sandwiched together. (Look at Convertible Solutions)

In terms of thick board, I think people are buying 24pt Westrock Tango and cutting it down.... but from an uncoated side, I don't know what exists.

I’m not aware of any uncoated sheet at 470gsm, but like above mentioned, you can get parent size 24pt (about 400 gsm) and cut it down.

Look for Cougar 160lb double thick cover 433gsm. Expensive and only in full size sheets.

We do 2 layer and 3 layer business cards, they are produced by printing each side on a separate sheet, then gluing the sheets together using double sided adhesive.

We do 2 layer and 3 layer business cards, they are produced by printing each side on a separate sheet, then gluing the sheets together using double sided adhesive.
Magnus, what equipment do you have that automates this process? Can you share a video of how this is done?

Magnus, what equipment do you have that automates this process? Can you share a video of how this is done?
We don't automate the process, just use a home made MDF jig to position the sheets, it's a slow, labour intensive process.

Yeh we do the same, I use spray mount and by hand and eye place them on each other. You can get double sided adhesive sheets, never tried it but seems like it might be tricky. You can get adhesive coating machines where you run the sheet through before placing.

As Magnus59 said, it takes time so price accordingly.

Yeh we do the same, I use spray mount and by hand and eye place them on each other. You can get double sided adhesive sheets, never tried it but seems like it might be tricky. You can get adhesive coating machines where you run the sheet through before placing.

As Magnus59 said, it takes time so price accordingly.
We use the double sided adhesive on rolls, it's not too tricky with the jig, which is basically an MDF base with 2 sheets of MDF attached to make a right angle.

We haven't stopped using it as such, it's just not something we get a lot of orders for. It's not the cheapest material, and most customers don't want to pay the extra.

From my experience, 3 layer paper board is always multiple sheets sandwiched together. (Look at Convertible Solutions)

In terms of thick board, I think people are buying 24pt Westrock Tango and cutting it down.... but from an uncoated side, I don't know what exists.
Look at neenah.com they have good thick papers

On our C9200 I use 24pt (470gsm) Tanco Advantage C2S Cover, 25X38". Then cut to get 3 sheets of 18x12" (long edge grain direction). I cut it to get 4 sheets 12x18", but every time was paper jam.

On our C9200 I use 24pt (470gsm) Tanco Advantage C2S Cover, 25X38". Then cut to get 3 sheets of 18x12" (long edge grain direction). I cut it to get 4 sheets 12x18", but every time was paper jam.
Second number is the grain. 18x12 = short grain. 12x18 = long grain. You are correct on running short grain cover through digital presses as they can't make the bends needed to go through the press. Long grain should be used for only text weight substrates.

Second number is the grain. 18x12 = short grain. 12x18 = long grain. You are correct on running short grain cover through digital presses as they can't make the bends needed to go through the press. Long grain should be used for only text weight substrates.
Sorry, it was my mistake. We cut 24pt paper to 18x12". When cut to 12x18" we get a paper jam.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back