Thinking about moving up from our DI to a MAN Roland 300... thoughts?

ScotJ

Good afternoon Guys,

I have had a DI on our floor for a bit now, and I'm feeling the limitaions of the sheet size as well as quality issues with the machine. So I'm looking at moving to a conventional press.

There are a few *very*afford about 1995-1999 year range MAN Rolands on the market. I'm looking at 29" most likely.

Anyone have anything bad to say about these? Are they a good press if maintained well?

The price on those units is way more than i'd like to spend.

Also - I don't know how much I like the DIs anymore. I think I'd rather buy one large CTP unit, and then I can burn plates for any press with one unit.

roland 300's are good presses if well maintained, which can be said about any press as far as that goes.

the only thing I can say is to make sure you 'shim' the ink rollers when installing them. that's the key that most 300 owners aren't aware of. other than that, they are good presses and print well. the feeders are easy and the perfectors are great.

hope this helps.

ScotJ,
If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about the DI's? I am in the early stages of migrating from toner to ink for our color work and am looking at conventional vs DI's.

Hi loopyg66,

Since most 300 owners aren't aware of this 'shim' the ink rollers trick and you are, can please say a bit more about it now that you brought it up? Is this about taking out end play, or something else?

Al

Hey Craig,

The DI isn't a bad press - but it definitley has some limitations in term of what you can produce compared to a press conventional. I'm no pres operator, but I can run it when I need to (we do have a full time operator).

The QMDI pulls portrait vs landscape, making it harder for the rollers to recover ink on big knockouts, as well there are only 3 form rollers on the QMDI Plus that we have, making it even more difficult to do big heavy solids with knock outs.

This is my main problem with the press, and I'm still going to keep it for alot of work small work.

I'm thinking about getting a GTO 52 as well, TBD right now. I'll let you know which route I go.

Heh, I know Pete - that is my preference, but cost is the determining factor for us. It cost $30k to move and install a 300, it costs $5-8k to move the GTO (From what I've been told).

You need to shim the rollers to take out the end play. From what I remember they are fairly inexpensive from manroland. Helps everything from ghosting to streaking.......

I would still go with the roland over the GTO. I understand the concern over the initial difference in cost, but you will get it back in the long run. Since you prefer the roland over the GTO and you were to go with the GTO because of money, you will be kicking yourself every time you have an issue. It's called buyer remorse. Get the press you like and you will be happier in the long run. You are not buying a car, you are buying a piece of equipment to keep you in business and hopefully bring in more business. Don't short change yourself based a few thousand dollars. If you prefer the GTO, get the GTO. If you prefer the roland, get the roland.

my 2 cents............

I know, I know... but really it more than a few k. The move cost is $22k difference, but almost $70,000 difference in machine cost. Your almost at a $100,000; and I don't finance stuff really so thats a big chunk of change.

I'd be replacing the GTO anyhow, and it would be easy to sell as there is stil demand of it - we wouldn't be keeping it permanently. Unless we had constant work for both machines.

if you are working on a di at the mo i rekon the gto ill do most of you work for a first 'real' press if you can get the 300 go for it but like you said if monies a concern you can sell gtos everyday f the week so easy to sell when you want.

gtos ae a bit slow in registering but will do the job, and they wil last forever

have you tried getting a quote from manroland on moving the machine? maybe they can beat the price and/or bundle in training. most independents are lacking in proper training.......know from first hand experience. we ended up calling the manufacturer to get proper training, which ended up costing more then if we had gone with them to begin with. Not to mention slow start up and botched jobs.

In general, dampening system on Man-Roland is problematic. Have run almost every press manufacturer over a thirty year period and found Man Roland least desirable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back