ThinkTech printing system

Gregg

Anyone have any experience with this Green initiative printing system?

Sounds good, and I have seen one of our books, printed in this manner, come back with great results. The 1-color art had a wide rage of values and subtle details, printed on uncoated stock and looked pretty dam good.

Any drawbacks?

Sounds good, and I have seen one of our books, printed in this manner, come back with great results. The 1-color art had a wide rage of values and subtle details, printed on uncoated stock and looked pretty dam good.

Any drawbacks?

NONE!!!

Over 17 years starting with the first generation.

Any drawbacks?

I would assume there would be constraints to the process itself. Granted, since this was developed by the Maple-Vail Book Manufacturing Club the constraint is within books, assuming all other work wouldn't be able to use this system. I have read a few places where they compare the quality to sheetfed presses, but I wouldn't bet the Komori 5C+AQ press at my shop with that notion. There are specific applications to this, mostly within web-based printing.

What I would say is this:

1) Are you happy with the processes claim of reducing VOCs?
2) Are you happy with the product that has come out of the process?
3) Is the cost right?

If all are yes, hell don't look for drawbacks :p

I would assume there would be constraints to the process itself. Granted, since this was developed by the Maple-Vail Book Manufacturing Club the constraint is within books, assuming all other work wouldn't be able to use this system. I have read a few places where they compare the quality to sheetfed presses, but I wouldn't bet the Komori 5C+AQ press at my shop with that notion. There are specific applications to this, mostly within web-based printing.

What I would say is this:

1) Are you happy with the processes claim of reducing VOCs?
2) Are you happy with the product that has come out of the process?
3) Is the cost right?

If all are yes, hell don't look for drawbacks :p

What is your experience with this process?
Have you ever used it?
If you haven't used it how do you know?

This is a constant problem assuming. If you haven't used or been involved in the R+D of a process or manufacturing method all you are doing is making an assumption and nothing more.

Recently we had a trainer in our facility. He asked about conductivity. The press crew said they don't have to check it because it is a printing myth and assumption. The trainer commented that it should be below 2000 mho for the offset process to work correctly. The crew said go ahead and check, it read at over 7000 mho. The trainer watched us run all day.
Conductivity is one of many assumptions and myths' in this industry.

What is your experience with this process?
Have you ever used it?
If you haven't used it how do you know?

This is a constant problem assuming. If you haven't used or been involved in the R+D of a process or manufacturing method all you are doing is making an assumption and nothing more.

Recently we had a trainer in our facility. He asked about conductivity. The press crew said they don't have to check it because it is a printing myth and assumption. The trainer commented that it should be below 2000 mho for the offset process to work correctly. The crew said go ahead and check, it read at over 7000 mho. The trainer watched us run all day.
Conductivity is one of many assumptions and myths' in this industry.

As I had originally said, if Gregg sees no difference with the process within his printed work what is the point in trying to find drawbacks? If he is happy with it then there shouldn't be any issue.

The only assumption I made was that this system was created by a book publisher. With that the process was designed for book creation. I bet you could bring this over to other processes but that doesn't mean its applicable. Web-based printing and offset are completely different worlds within runs size + customer base.

Conductivity isn't a myth, its a consistent issue that is very much important to printers. Both conductivity and pH use to be the main focus, but because of technology the fountain solution is buffered to such an extent that it keeps pH at a consistent amount. How you ran at 7000mho is beyond me without being there, but there is always an explanation. And just because you run at 7000mho doesn't mean another printer can. Many factors have to be taken into consideration, and many factors become unique to each printer such as water supply and the treatment method itself.

I think we are not in the right section of the forums for this discussion :p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back