This Printer Sucks.. What Printer Should I Get Instead? Duplexing Postcards.

miami305

I just purchased the okidata C711dn because the specs read what it can duplex up to 220gsm, it can't.. when it does.. horribly misaligned even without duplexing on multiple card stock media. works great on regular paper.

OK this is what I need to do:

-duplex 65-80lb cover stock (postcard mailings, im open to use ANY paper thats suggested and works well)
-8.5 x 11 Letter (i cut in half for 8.5 x 5.5 postcards)
-roughly 5,000 monthly prints
-will print PDFs, dont need special software, PDFs that will be generated for me.
-i dont mind small registration of X and Y. just can't deal with images being printed misaligned with the edge of paper, which is what my current printed is doing on stock media.

I need something reliable and wont give me headaches, i'm doing very low volume @ 5,000 so hopefully there is something out there that will suit my needs.

I can spend up to $10,000 cash for printer or lease a more expensive one if it will give me no headaches, but maybe there is a less priced one that can handle the low volume? I will not grow the amount of postcards being sent.

Please suggest me some printers, I will buy it ASAP. losing business because I can't send out postcards for clients =(

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
What grain direction is the paper? Try running it so the paper grain runs front the front of the printer to the back. This may help the sheet make the bends. If that doesn't help get ready to spend way more than $10,000 for a reliable machine to duplex cover stock!

Craig, i've tried 5 different cover stock paper, they all have issues, misaligned, jams, etc. only regular paper works flawless

i can spend more then $10,000 with the option of leasing it, thats not an issue. can you suggest a printer that runs on 110V?

Outsource the cover. Give your problems to somebody else. There is no way you can buy a cheap printer that does what you want. Sorry

The problem you are facing now has been around since the beginning of time, aka economy of scale. With low volume coupled with your requirements on stock card and good registration, you definitely can't have the cake and eat it at the same time. If a 10grand machine can do the jobs you want, those production printers from all brands will cut no ice with proprietors like yourself. I suggest you look into Margadri's proposal or look at entry level production printers with a good RIP. Printers like KM C6501, Canon 6010 (soon to be 6011), Ricoh Pro C5100 or Xerox 1450GA.

And by the way, you mentioned this printer must be reliable and gives you no headaches. I can bet you my last dollar all digital printers will, unfortunately. They are ultimately machines. You will encounter color drifts, banding, curls, registration issues, etc. But with proper maintenance and a well trained operator, these issues will be significantly reduced.

Outsource the cover. Give your problems to somebody else. There is no way you can buy a cheap printer that does what you want. Sorry

thank you for feedback. i can't find a shop (talked to 20+ local shops) that will print my dynamically generated 8.5 x 11 PDFs. With numbers so low. Sometimes we need 50 sometimes we need 1000. They need to be printed within 2-3 days from being created. Do you know of any specific types of shops that will do this? I am open to outsourcing, but i just havent found any.

The problem you are facing now has been around since the beginning of time, aka economy of scale. With low volume coupled with your requirements on stock card and good registration, you definitely can't have the cake and eat it at the same time. If a 10grand machine can do the jobs you want, those production printers from all brands will cut no ice with proprietors like yourself. I suggest you look into Margadri's proposal or look at entry level production printers with a good RIP. Printers like KM C6501, Canon 6010 (soon to be 6011), Ricoh Pro C5100 or Xerox 1450GA.

And by the way, you mentioned this printer must be reliable and gives you no headaches. I can bet you my last dollar all digital printers will, unfortunately. They are ultimately machines. You will encounter color drifts, banding, curls, registration issues, etc. But with proper maintenance and a well trained operator, these issues will be significantly reduced.

Yeah, im starting to figure this out slowly, heh. I appreciate you naming some specific machines I can look into. I should of worded better, I was looking to spend $10,000 for used printer and or lease whatever is needed. Some mentions of xerox 242/252 looks to suite my needs. Also the richos at the local UPS Stores seems to work well they say on 80# cover duplex. I will have to check the specific model they use.

I am going to try out a xerox phaser 7800, reps are telling me try it out, if it doesn't suit my needs i can return it.

I appreciate the feedback!

I hate duplexing. If neither side is variable, run one side at a time. I do it regularly. and that's with a GOOD big printer. We just use questionable paper frequently.

I go by the rule in my head. "the fewer rollers that it touches, the better" especially for a cover paper.

thank you for feedback. i can't find a shop (talked to 20+ local shops) that will print my dynamically generated 8.5 x 11 PDFs. With numbers so low. Sometimes we need 50 sometimes we need 1000. They need to be printed within 2-3 days from being created. Do you know of any specific types of shops that will do this? I am open to outsourcing, but i just havent found any.

I wouldn't think digital shops would have a problem with those quantities if you do several of them a month and they are all similar specs with different art. We do stuff like that all the time for our customers. I don't see why dynamically generated pdf's would be a problem.

For some customers that do a lot of small mailing jobs like this we will spend a little time automating some stuff charge them a fixed rate per piece based on their average monthly volume no matter what size each job is.

I don't see how producing these in house could be cost effective compared to outsourcing. Plus you will probably get a better product from someone that has all the proper printing and finishing equipment. You can also take advantage of the bulk mail discounts most printers provide to save on postage.

Are you getting variance between each sheet or are all the sheets off the same amount? You could run the through twice single sided.

If your just needing 50 or as many as 1000 then like others have said... DON'T duplex if your machine won't let you. I understand the desire to load the machine and hitting the print button just once but in the long run you are spending more time. The solution is simple.

I'm in Florida and would be happy to print/ship that work to you. Next day ground shipping in Florida.

I'm in Florida and would be happy to print/ship that work to you. Next day ground shipping in Florida.

I was thinking the same thing. I must be more desperate then the printers in his location because I do those kind of print jobs everyday for other printers/agencies/brokers etc. A job is a job and even a run of 5 or 10 is fine with me. I am not a "walk up" or Store Front printer either. We are a Commercial Shop with mainly offset presses but with Digital KM's also. It all adds up at the end of the year!

I find it hard to believe that no one in Miami wants to touch an order of a simple 8.5x11 4/4 with bleeds. No matter what quantity.

If your just needing 50 or as many as 1000 then like others have said... DON'T duplex if your machine won't let you. I understand the desire to load the machine and hitting the print button just once but in the long run you are spending more time. The solution is simple.

you did not read where i specifically stated that i get misaligned prints even on single sided. it was in the very first sentence of my original post.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that no one in Miami wants to touch an order of a simple 8.5x11 4/4 with bleeds. No matter what quantity.

i find it hard to believe as well, i just can not find one as i've called 15-20 shops within 100 mile radius. The minimum they will accept in one order is 500 prints when dealing with individual PDFs. If you know of one that will deal with smaller volumes at a time, please send me their info. i will gladly do business with them.

i find it hard to believe as well, i just can not find one as i've called 15-20 shops within 100 mile radius. The minimum they will accept in one order is 500 prints when dealing with individual PDFs. If you know of one that will deal with smaller volumes at a time, please send me their info. i will gladly do business with them.

so a job might be 100 individual pdfs and you need one copy of each. I still don't see the problem if they are all the same specs just with different art. If you can't find anyone local we would be glad to do them for you.

We have a regular client from down in Texas that sends us between 50 and 100 PDFs and they only want one copy of each. We are glad to have them as a regular customer. Why would anyone turn down work?

Have you contacted your sales rep? If the machine doesn't perform as he told you, or as published specs stated, then the company should fix it or do something to make you happy.

Last edited:
Hi...I am not sure whether this would help or whether you have already tried this. I found out 3 solutions that MAY help you:
1. Try making settings where the paper is taken from the tray other than the bypass tray.
2. In the [Tray Paper Settings]...go to [Apply Duplex]...and say [Yes].
3. In [Tray Paper Settings]...under [Paper Type]...select paper other than [Thick Paper 2] or [Thick Paper 3].
Hope one of these may help you..

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back