Thoughts on Xitron Navigator RIP

prepressguru

Hi Gang

Need your input. One of our major vendors is recommending we pick up this rip. Reason is we are trying to move away from Nexus and use a combination Xerox Freeflow and Xitron. Need to know more about Xitron Navigator from a user perspective.

p

Are you only using Nexus as a RIP or do you have an entire workflow solution?
The workflow wrapped around Navigator is very limited compared to Nexus so be sure you are looking at like solutions.
Be sure to test real files and many files. Not just your everyday files but some of the ones you hope you never see again.

@ Joe

Our Nexus is very outdated (nexus 8.1 or 8.3) plus it is not a very efficient worklfow compared to others I have worked with. As for Nexus itself there are 2 parts to it. One for ripping/trapping pages, another one to output/rip to plate/proofing. The company wants to move to Freeflow. But the problem is it does not work with plating devices. This is where Xitron comes in to talk with the plating device.

@ zombie we will be looking into a demo, feedback from users is always helpful

p

I used to work for Compose Systems. Xitron was a direct "RIP" competitor. On many occasions, Compose and Xitron worked together with customers who used one of their interface boxes, or when we had a driver / board / cable. Xitron was ALWAYS a pleasure to work with. They always had very brigh and polite people, and were never hesitant to getting me directly to engineering. We resold their boxes, as many Desiktop PCs do not come with additional PCI slots. I highly recommend Xitron for that reason. And - you can't beat a Global Graphic RIP IMHO, and if you know I am a dyed in the wool Adobe fan-boy, well ...

We are a Xitron Navigator user and it works well. Only thing I would say is we have TrapPro and it works well also except that it will not process any unflattened PDFs we send to it. If we send anything but 1.3 files with Trapping turned on, we get "VMError Offending Commands Render Bands", the solution was posed to us as anything to be trapped has to flattened and that is what we've found.

The other thing is if you are on Lion, their rip client is a Beta 2 version still right now.

Hey prepper

Thanks for the feedback on Navigator. We are still looking deeper into Navigator. Looks like we would need more then there basic RIP and instead more of a workflow which Navigator is. They are telling me you can submit native files directly to thier system and it will automatically process the file for you and then do the prepress work. Have you seen this?

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back