TIFF issue... 2 out of three ain't bad.

acacia print

Hi all.

Yesterday we tried to open a file in IDD that had been created on a graphic designers computer. It had two images and a bit of text. One image was a TIFF and we worked out that the only reason we could not open this file on the factory computer was that it contained this particular TIFF. Once this TIFF was removed the file opened.

The file will fully open on a laptop and the original computer it was designed on, but the IDD file will only open on our business computer if we remove this tiff from the layout...

Any ideas. It would seem that my computer is at fault... We inserted another TIFF and there was no issue though. It would seem in that case that maybe it is actually the file.

Are all TIFF's equal? or have I got a setting wrong.... Odd

:confused:

Hi all.

Yesterday we tried to open a file in IDD that had been created on a graphic designers computer. It had two images and a bit of text. One image was a TIFF and we worked out that the only reason we could not open this file on the factory computer was that it contained this particular TIFF. Once this TIFF was removed the file opened.

The file will fully open on a laptop and the original computer it was designed on, but the IDD file will only open on our business computer if we remove this tiff from the layout...

Any ideas. It would seem that my computer is at fault... We inserted another TIFF and there was no issue though. It would seem in that case that maybe it is actually the file.

Are all TIFF's equal? or have I got a setting wrong.... Odd

:confused:

All tiff files are not equal and blame Adobe for that. Try this on your system see if you can open the offending tiff file in PS or Corel PP, (without edititng or bastardizing the CM)rename and re save it then replace it in the ID file.

TIFFs

TIFFs

Thanks for that. I will get our designer to trial this. She wont be back in for a few days so will pass this on to her. I am glad to know that we are not going mad...

What OS and what versions are you using, it helps in testing/debugging and it is very good to know for future refference. Some operating systems will need the tiff to have the ending .tif to recognise them correctly. Tiff format has evolved, older tiff files were simple bitmaps, then various compressions were allowed, later clipping masks and finally transparency, also a TIFF can have embedded application specific data like photoshop layers. To have kept the original format would have been a mistake.
All this happened before InDesign, so that means that the problem could be some where else.

What is the size and resolution of the problem tiff? It is more probable that it is a graphics card that is not powerful enough or you don't have enough RAM (so if these differ between the computers that may be what is the limitation).

(If all tiffs were the same they would by definition have the same image and resolution which would be kind of monotonous ;p Lets find the problem before pointing fingers at who's to blame.)

Lukas Thank you for a very informative and full answer. I am keeoing this thread on file and as soon as our designer is back in two days then I will get her and I to fully answer your question. It looks as if we are about to learn something important.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back