Toner supply issue

Abie

Hi,

We have leased a KM C6085 from a local Canadian KM dealer a few months ago and love using it. In fact it's running almost all day with long jobs.

The problem we're running into though is that we need to keep asking for toner, and it's becoming a real issue between us and the KM dealer. We're almost always close to running out of a color or two and then the begging begins to have the KM dealer bring more.

At the most we receive just 2 sets in a delivery, which could get used up within a day or two (if not sooner), and then the dance begins again.

Could anyone enlighten me as to how to approach this. Also, is it typical of busy print shops using digital printers to constantly need to request/beg for toner. Also, what is the minimum toner that is normal to have in inventory at any given time.

At this point, I'm even thinking of switching to another company such as Canon or Ricoh. Or perhaps I should call KM directly and see if they could get involved.

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you

I’d be complaining to KM directly that their dealer isn’t supplying enough supplies to run. And try to explain to the dealer that if you run out of toner, your not putting clicks on the machine which means they aren’t making money. That might get you a few more sets.

i don’t know about other companies, but Xerox is pretty good about keeping our shelves full. We usually keep 12-15 bottles of K in the shelf and 6-8 of every other color. Xerox doesn’t make you order in sets and since black is always used up more than any color, we make sure we have plenty. We can go through a bottle of K in a day if running balls out,but CMY not too often. Weve done it, but it was large full color booklets with heavy coverage.

We're with Ricoh and have similar issues with toner. They hate supplying more than one of each at a time. We can thank the idiots who over order and sell it on ebay for this tightness! We spoke to our sales rep and explained about our machine not earning them money without toner and he advised us to just order one full set every couple of days instead of trying to bulk order and it works for us. We build up stocks during slow periods so we always have a shelf full!

If this is a new phenomenon, the please be patient. We've got an official letter from Konica one month ago, that due to the 'coronavirus pandemic', they had to close down a factory in France, where most of the toner is manufactured. I think the supply chain will get back to normal, as the the COVID madness die down. Here, they will lift most of the restrictions next week.

Xerox has never restricted my toner ordering- I keep a healthy buffer inventory on hand. They are stingy with drums and some other consumable parts though, but the service techs can order on my behalf for those items.

With Xerox we usually kept 6 of every toner on hand. With Ricoh, their system sometimes asks for explanation when ordering, but we just tell it we run heavy coverage work. We keep 5 of each color on hand.

If you have issues I would contact your salesman. He is the one that should sort out any issues. You always want to have a couple on the shelf. What if you got a defective one?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back