Toshiba

Keith

Hi everyone! I just wanted to get some feedback on the Toshiba e-STUDIO5520c/6520c/6530c series. I know, I know, it's not a Xecanica iProPress 10,000,000cvt and it's just fast plastic, but I'm only in the 10,000 clicks a month catagory so it's in my price range (under $30,000). I'm looking to step up a little bit from an ir3220 and a Xante Ilumina. I already ruled out the dc242 (not entirely) because it is on the high end of the "under $30,000" and I want to stay as low as I can.

Again, I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience with Toshiba, specifically-

http://copiers.toshiba.com/media/do...s/color/estudio5520c/english/estudio6530c.pdf

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Keith, do yourself a favour. Go for the dc 242. The dc 2xx printers are tested and proven high-end office colour printers.

I already ruled out the dc242 (not entirely) because it is on the high end of the "under $30,000" and I want to stay as low as I can.

good luck.

pricing is just one variable in this equation. considering technology, quality, paper handling, speed, service, support, financing, click rates, uptime, etc, etc ... is the Xerox DocuColor 242 is still out?

buying something cheaper, may cost you much more in the long run.

Keith, you might be interested in looking into the results of some comprehensive independent testing that will be released in a few weeks by the IPA trade organization.

The toshiba device was one of 10 digital presses and DI presses studied on an exhaustive list of metrics.

Here's some more info 2009 Digital Print Forum Overview | IPA

LOL!!! I got jumped by a bunch of Xerox Ninjas!!!! LOL!!!!!! Xerox must hate Toshiba!:D

But seriously, if I throw price out the window, the 242 fits the bill. The only thing I don't like about it is the max size from the drawers is 11x17; which forces an oversized high cap feeder on me since I do a lot of 12x18. I LOVE the low click rate for any size. That should make the total cost of ownership less then all the other machines I'm considering. What scares me is this- How will the bigger lease payment feel during the slow months? Some days, I wonder why I am giving this so much thought. Probably because I don't want to make a wrong decision.

Sweatyclimber, thanks for the GIS recommendation. I have been talking exclusively with an Authorized Agent and I would be wise to bid out a purchase this big. Especially considering print buyers do it to us all the time!

StrikTenn913, I read an article in Graphic Arts Monthly about that testing. that is what prompted me to take a second look at Toshiba. I originally looked at them a year ago when a customer of mine recommended a specific Toshiba dealer. The e-studio 5520 I'm considering is the slower version on the 6530c they are testing- I think. But I looked at the specs (of the 5520) and it is rated for everything I would ask it to do, 13x19, 300gsm, etc. The only thing I'm not sure about is coated stock and service (click rate and quality of).

Everyones feedback is greatly appreciated!

Man, I love this forum!
Keith

The e6520c series supports up to 300 GSM and 13 x 19" paper from the bypass. The copier is not really designed for Glossy paper as you will have excess wear on the internals of the copier and registration problems.

The copier is excellent in Print Shops that require mid range paper weights and high image quality.

The copier is probably best as a secondary copier for those locations that already have a Copier/ Fiery device that can handle the high end of paper weights. The Toshiba can do everything else you need at a very good cost. The built in Controller is very good with lots of ability to tweak colour making the optional Fiery a marginal purchase.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back