Total RIP or Odystar

pcmodem

Registered Users
If you had the choice. Would you get Nexus Total RIP or Odystar?

Do you currently have Nexus RIP now?

We are a commercial printer and want to make sure the system we choose will allow us to be ready for what comes at us in the future.

Yes but this stil dont awnser my question?

Its like this, Odystar does not have a RIP standard, so if you wanna RIP you need to buy 1 in Odystar.
If you already have a Nexus and you want to RIP than you need a Total RIP to be up to date with handeling transparanties.

Your question to me is like do I buy a RIP or do I buy automation for file handeling.

wel the diffirence is that Odystar is not a rip but a automation system like Nexus Processor. If you want you can buy RIPs on both systems.
Now you already have a leagacy RIP on Nexus so the cheapest way to upgrate for you is to buy the TotalRip on Nexus than.

OK, I think you still dont understand. You are comparing 2 diffirent thins.

Odystar:
Odystar: highly automated pre-press workflow solution
Like you can ready on the website it is a workflow solution, not a RIP.
But you can buy a RIP for Odystar, this RIP is not the TotalRIP as far as I know.

Nexus RIP and Total RIP:
NexusRIP module: the RIPping and screening engine of Nexus
Are a part of an other workflow solution that is caled Nexus, so when you have a Nexus and you need RIPping power than you can buy these RIPs.

We are a commercial printer and want to make sure the system we choose will allow us to be ready for what comes at us in the future.

To know this for sure, find as much information as possible.

EskoArtwork Solutions for the Commercial Printing Industry

Ask all vendors for a detailed demonstration with your own production files / requirements.

Then way down all the options - total cost of ownership - training requirements etc...

Well, I can say that we have been using Nexus for a number of years. Unless you want to buy a whole new system, being Odystar, I would just buy the upgrade to TotalRIP.

If you had the choice. Would you get Nexus Total RIP or Odystar?

Do you currently have Nexus RIP now?

Ill try to make it simple.

Odystar is a pure PDF workflow that is superior in automation. Has a routing gateway that allows for conditional automation (ie. if page size is this, do this. etc...) Odystar also has a RIP gateway.

Nexus was traditionally a Multi format rip that could drive most any devices. Now nexus has the "total PDF". The total PDF consist of many of the gateways from Odystar to increase nexus's automation as well as versatility. With the Total PDF you also get the PDF Rip Module.

Both the Nexus PDF RIP and the Odystar PDF RIP use the same algorithm's. Hence the rips are identical.

some factors to consider.

1. Cost of Learning? Are your operators familiar with Nexus? Total PDF would require little training.
2. Leverage your current investment. You already own nexus, then it is cheaper to upgrade then switch to Odystar
3. Auto imposition? This is a feature available on Odystar not nexus
4. PC or Mac? Odystar can only run on a mac server. Nexus can run on PC

Hope this helps

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back