Transparencies

Keith

I feel a bit embarrassed to be asking this, but what are most of you doing when it comes to files that have transparencies? I have a graphic designer that gives me files that are insane with effects and colors. Currently, I am running CS2 on an iMac, the designer and I use Illustrator, I print to a DC252 with an embedded Fiery using Command Workstation. Is this where those PDF editing programs come into play? Specifically, what is the best/easiest way to flatten a file for the best output? I also read about APPE but I don't know how to get one of those for my current workflow.

Thank you for your assistance!
Keith

We have an older Trueflow RIP that does not handle live transparencies, so we need "flattened" files, too. We have pretty good success with PDFs that follow the PDF/X-1a standard. That PDF preset is available in Illustrator using the "Save As..." function, then selecting Illustrator PDF, then selecting the PDF/X-1a option.

I rarely have transparency issues with any "new" rip, but my wide format WFC rip often has trouble with them. If PDF/X-1a (as mentioned by btravis311) doesn't give me the result I want, I may try sending the direct postscript. If that doesn't work, I'll go directly to a totally flattened and saved down TIF.

Many times a TIF seems like the only option to get the desired result when printing a CS3/4/5 file with a lot of different effects.

Thanks for the fast response, btravis311!!!! I was looking at that PDF/X-1a but was concerned about the lose of Illustrator editing capabilities. That shouldn't matter I suppose, since the "saved as" file is going straight to press and changes can be made with the original. I will give this a try right away!

Keith, the flattening of your file will occur in the printstream - in other words, when you print the file, the data is flattened as it is sent to your RIP. So, you most likely don't need to "pre-flatten" unless you are running into a problem on a certain job.

Having spent a lot of time understanding how effects get flattened before I eventually moved to an APPE workflow, I can tell you that the easiest thing to do is to get to know the Flattener Preview in Illustrator and InDesign. You can use it to (a) see what objects are transparent and (b) see how the flattening of those transparent objects will affect underlying and surrounding objects.

Armed with this info, you have a much better idea of where your problems are likely to be in the printed piece. You can also use the info to make preemptive decisions to minimize what gets flattened. The most important thing to remember is that flattening occurs from the transparent object down (anything that lives below the transparent object in the stacking order will be affected by flattening.) To protect an object from unwanted flattening, bring it to the front of the stacking order (layers are helpful for this, but a simple "bring to front" will do the trick.) A common scenario is that a picture has a drop shadow, and the caption under the picture has type that gets fattened during flattening. This occurs because the drop shadow lives above the caption in the stacking order, so the caption gets partially rasterized and so looks fatter. But, bring the caption above the drop shadow in the stacking order and now the caption is protected from flattening.

Hi all

Its about time we understand that transparencies are here and they are here to stay.
Best way to handel them is to invest in a RIP who understand transparencies, so you never need to flatten annything. Flattening files always is and wil be a risk and the more transparencies you have in files the bigger the flattend files wil be.
Its like te evolutions we had with postcript versions 1, 2 and 3. Than people who did not invest always had problems.

Just my 2cent

Hi Keith

Thankfully I don't have to pre-flatten in our workflow, but in the past I noticed that newer versions of CS tend to flatten files better than older versions. If you have issues in CS2, sometimes they go away if you move to a newer version of the program, or if you save the PDF unflattened and then open in a newer version of Acrobat Pro and flatten there (Advanced - Print Production - Flattnener preview).

Wherever the flattening happens, make sure it's using at least the high-res settings. Also, whenever possible, try to move elements that don't need to be affected on top the transparent elements in the stacking order.

These PDFs from Adobe's site have lots of good info:

Transparency Print Production Guide
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/creativesuite/articles/cs3ip_printprodtrans.pdf

Designers Guide to Transparency
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/creativesuite/articles/cs3ip_transguide.pdf

More guides can be found on this page:
Adobe Print Resource Center

Shawn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back