Transparency effects printing issues

Following my question above. I've ran some tests doing this :

- saving a native AI file as a PDF/X-1
- then saving the same file as a native AI file again
(keeping the file open the whole time)

As far as I can tell, as long as the file stays open in AI, it remains as a native AI file, even though I've saved it as a PDF/X-1 along the way.

If anyone can confirm this, I'd like to make sure there is no loss of anything if I do that.

Thanks.
Yes, as long as you don't close the file, it doesn't change anything. When you "Save As", it's essentially saving a copy while maintaining the file that is currently open. So you are good there.

Following my question above. I've ran some tests doing this :

- saving a native AI file as a PDF/X-1
- then saving the same file as a native AI file again
(keeping the file open the whole time)

As far as I can tell, as long as the file stays open in AI, it remains as a native AI file, even though I've saved it as a PDF/X-1 along the way.

If anyone can confirm this, I'd like to make sure there is no loss of anything if I do that.

Thanks.
I would also like to confirm about the above.☝

Yes, that's the actual behavior of AI. The Warning panels are about the SAVED file, they will lose most of the Illustrator proprietary functions. The open file does not get altered.

Print the PDF from Apple Preview, NOT Acrobat. See if that works. Highlight file and select at top File-Open With and then select Preview application

Preview does not render live transparency well so you may get what you see in Preview but not what is actually in the PDF.

@eemDesign Here's some information about the differences of PDF/X-1 and PDF/X-4 How PDF changed prepress production dramatically in the last 25 years and Technical Specifications - Ghent Workgroup GWG Technical Specifications Also the Ghent Workgroup website is a valuable source to how you can save files to standards Application Settings - Ghent Workgroup. @Eric Boucher pdfToolbox offers powerful, dynamic and easy to integrate PDF processing, from quick visual inspection and fixing, to fully unattended processing of thousands of files. Using rock-solid Adobe technology pdfToolbox provides checking and fixing of even very complex problems, colour management, impositioning, conversion to and from PDF and more. pdfToolbox technology is used by small companies, large publishers and print providers as well as OEMs that integrate the technology in their solution. A free 30day trial can be downloaded from here https://www.fourpees.com/en/products/callas/pdftoolbox/pdftoolboxdesktop

@eemDesign Here's some information about the differences of PDF/X-1 and PDF/X-4 How PDF changed prepress production dramatically in the last 25 years and Technical Specifications - Ghent Workgroup GWG Technical Specifications Also the Ghent Workgroup website is a valuable source to how you can save files to standards Application Settings - Ghent Workgroup. @Eric Boucher pdfToolbox offers powerful, dynamic and easy to integrate PDF processing, from quick visual inspection and fixing, to fully unattended processing of thousands of files. Using rock-solid Adobe technology pdfToolbox provides checking and fixing of even very complex problems, colour management, impositioning, conversion to and from PDF and more. pdfToolbox technology is used by small companies, large publishers and print providers as well as OEMs that integrate the technology in their solution. A free 30day trial can be downloaded from here https://www.fourpees.com/en/products/callas/pdftoolbox/pdftoolboxdesktop
Thank you too : )

@Eric Boucher , we have a C6085 with the KM controller (we used to have the Fiery on our old KM C8000). One thing to try in the KM controller to help with the transparency issue: In the print driver window, click on the 2 blue arrows at the top right. Then select: "Management" (big icon in the top row). Then check the "Manual Settings" radio button. Then go to the "Optional Settings" tab. Change "Composite Overprint" to "High Quality". If this works, you can save it as part of your default settings so you don't have to select it each time.

@Eric Boucher , we have a C6085 with the KM controller (we used to have the Fiery on our old KM C8000). One thing to try in the KM controller to help with the transparency issue: In the print driver window, click on the 2 blue arrows at the top right. Then select: "Management" (big icon in the top row). Then check the "Manual Settings" radio button. Then go to the "Optional Settings" tab. Change "Composite Overprint" to "High Quality". If this works, you can save it as part of your default settings so you don't have to select it each time.
I tried to change that "Composite Overprint" setting but it made no difference. Following @Puch 's advice we are currently printing PDF/X-1 files and have no issues with transparencies. I'm getting the APPE add-on in the machine in a few weeks and we'll try to work with PDF/X-4 files then.

I tried to change that "Composite Overprint" setting but it made no difference. Following @Puch 's advice we are currently printing PDF/X-1 files and have no issues with transparencies. I'm getting the APPE add-on in the machine in a few weeks and we'll try to work with PDF/X-4 files then.
Cool, I'm sure APPE will help. I think or C6085 comes with it automatically, not an add-on for the bigger engines.

Hi , Guys! I guess that helps us:

Attachments

• PDFX-in-a-Nutshell.pdf
    310.7 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Callas pdfToolbox would fix this issue Eric, please DM me and I can set you up with a trial key

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back