transpromo software

Keith

Every damn trade publication is talking about "transpromo". I understand what it is but I want to undetstand HOW it is. What software is required to do that type of work. How do you get the "bills" from the customer so you can print it with an ad on there? I understand the VDP programs out there (FusionPro, DirectSmile, etc.) but how do you get the transactional information from the customer? Do they export it from their accounting software as a PDF or data file? I'm just curious....

Keith

transpromo

transpromo

In order to print transpromo you need a VDP software along with rules and database. Every page is generated in a dinamic way for each customer.

let's say you have a bank, insurance or telecommunication company that prints Account Statements for their customers.

Variable Data Printing : Cross Promotion Tools : Xerox

The data for the Account Statements is usually a TEXT file with all the information line by line. I'm uploading a sample txt file.

There is VDP software that is especifically designed for transactional printing, such as Xerox FreeFlow and Lytrod.

FreeFlow Variable Information Suite for Variable Data Printing
Lytrod Software

The idea is that the software reads the data file, puts the data with nice fonts, colors, graphics in a page, but will also be able to understand the content of the data and place a "promotion" significant to it.

For instance, if you bought a trip to Alaska with your credit card, the sw could read that line, and based on a condition, it may put a promotion about winter clothing or a ski resort. If the line read trip to the Caribbean, maybe it will put a promotion about sunglasses or flipflops. This condition can also be upstream, and the result can come in the original data file from the bank.

Attachments

• SAMPLE.txt
    571 bytes · Views: 232
Keith,

Your data can come from your clients in many formats, depending on what your VDP software program can accept. The key is that your program must be able to quickly extract the data from the file in a useable format. PDFs generally aren't used because so many extra steps would have to be done to pull out and cleanse the data.

I personally have used PrintShop Mail, PlanetPress, and Prism DocForm and have seen a thorough demo of Fusion Desktop Pro.

The most common file formats seem to be text and csv (comma separated variable), but many others can be handled (again, depending on your program).

Of Objectif Lune's primary offerings, PlanetPress is the more robust choice for transpromo and handling data from third party sources. It has a tool for mapping and stabilizing data from other sources, such as AS400s. (That was my favorite part of their class, actually pretty fun to do.)

If you haven't selected a VDP program yet, talk to your clients' IT people and find out what formats they can deliver data to you. That may end up driving your decision re which program to get.

(Full disclosure: my dealership sells Konica Minolta, and ObjectifLune and Prism are third party software partners with Konica Minolta. We have sold all three programs to clients in our territory. However....big difference here .... I am our marketing director and I have actually USED all three programs.)

Last edited:
Keith,

Wanted to add one more thing to try to make this "data" stuff less geeky. The data part of transpromo can be the most overwhelming part to understand, since IT terms are not a customary part of the print world! But, you don't have to go it alone.

Whatever software company you are considering should be able to explain how to get data or even work directly with a client of yours to obtain a sample file. They also should be able to give you a proof of concept for you with the sample data and a mock-up of an example final output.

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. I understand now. So, if your customer uses X accounting software, they would export the invoices/bills as a txt or csv file. That's all I wanted to know. I assume the static information of the invoice can be anything really. Preferably a recreation of their existing invoice.

Honestly, I have thought about offering this service. I use FusionPro desktop (I know, I know, it's probably not good enough for transpromo work!). I do mailings as well so I thought this would be a good way to feed my new Xerox. I'm also looking for a challenge. I plan on starting small (my company, then my father-in-laws company, and then the new company my brother is starting).

So my next question- what systems, tools, software and'or programs do you need in place to start offering transpromo work? (From sales to delivery)

Thank you,
Keith

You need the data, transactional VDP sw, and a printer.

Seems that you already have the print engine, what Xerox model and RIP do you have?

There are many sw packages for transactional VDP. I personally like Lytrod and Xerox VIPP for this type of jobs.

You may be able to download a trial version and play around with them.

I have a DC252 with bustled Fiery. I use FusionPro Desktop. I guess that wouldn't work? I assume transactional vdp software costs an arm and a leg (I value and arm and a leg at $1000 USD)?

Remember, there are security issues

Remember, there are security issues

Thank you Gentlemen for the replies. I understand now. So, if your customer uses X accounting software, they would export the invoices/bills as a txt or csv file. That's all I wanted to know. I assume the static information of the invoice can be anything really. Preferably a recreation of their existing invoice.

Honestly, I have thought about offering this service. I use FusionPro desktop (I know, I know, it's probably not good enough for transpromo work!). I do mailings as well so I thought this would be a good way to feed my new Xerox. I'm also looking for a challenge. I plan on starting small (my company, then my father-in-laws company, and then the new company my brother is starting).

So my next question- what systems, tools, software and'or programs do you need in place to start offering transpromo work? (From sales to delivery)

Thank you,
Keith

Keith:

A few other things to remember. This isn't just about technology. A small to medium size biller may produce text files, csv files or database files in a wide range fo formats. Professional bill printers usually have a sophisticated operation that allows them to take in arcane data formats and convert them to what their formatting engine will consume.

Your software.. and many fine ones have been mentioned here.. you can pass the transaction data through to a template and print, or you can apply more sophistication and conditionally test the incoming data for triggers that enhance the formatting, replace variables, or add content.

So far, so good.

However, what is your security situation? Are you SAS70 certified? It's required by many billers if you want to take on their billing work. Is your inbound data pipe secure? Is your facility secure? Is the mailstream secure - no prying eyes during the bill printing.

If you are secure, and you have a disaster recovery plan as well, you might try a pilot with a friendly customer before determining if this is an offering you want to make.

The challenge is often not the technology, but having something to market. Many companies find it harder to come up with new offers every month than doing the programming! And that might give you something to offer -- can you find willing partner companies and have the offers ready to add? Or, can you form the partnership with companies like List Process Direct or Linkwell and be the offer broker?

I have a DC252 with bustled Fiery. I use FusionPro Desktop. I guess that wouldn't work? I assume transactional vdp software costs an arm and a leg (I value and arm and a leg at $1000 USD)?

Well, your Bustled Fiery only understands Postscript, wich is not the most reliable and efficient for transactional printing. Still, you could do some small jobs if you send them in batches.

Remember that in transactional printing, you are usually talking about thousands of records in a print run, each page printed is completely different.

Based on your arm & leg value, you probably will need about 2 full bodies.

Without knowing anything about the returns from transpromo, it sounds like the silliest thing I've heard of. In my mind the pitch goes like this, "You owe us this much. Maybe you'd like to owe these guys, too."

Without knowing anything about the returns from transpromo, it sounds like the silliest thing I've heard of. In my mind the pitch goes like this, "You owe us this much. Maybe you'd like to owe these guys, too."

It's called advertising. You definetely need to get a little more involved in this.

Have you ever read a newspaper that has some kind of advertising? or have you ever watched a TV show that has commercials?

Your transactional documents, like bank statements or bills, catch a lot of attention from reader. It's not junk mail, the reader will actually spend a few seconds going through it because it needs to be paid. There's plenty of unused space in that sheet of paper that can be used to put some relevant message/ad that will result in additional revenue.

You can point to a swamp and call it real estate.

Some forms, and locations, of advertising make sense; some don't. To me, this form and location do not make sense. I freely admitted that I have no information on the returns.

But, you did give me a lightbulb moment - transactional documents. That's where the "trans-" comes from.

Last edited:
Ha! Ha! Ha! A swamp! I never thought of transpromo in that light. And now that you mentioned it, I'd be kinda irritaded if I saw a piece of paper reflecting how much I owe them AND how much more they wanted.

SAS70 certified? Know nothing about it. That's why I started the thread! And that's what I love about this oracle, I mean forum.

Again, I appreciate all the replies and advice.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back