Trouble connecting to HP Indigo presses from OS X

We have 2 HP Indigo presses (SF3050 & WS2000). Connecting to them via IP address is hit and miss - sometimes no problem, sometimes cannot connect at all. The workaround has been copying the files over the network to a mac running OS 9, which connects to the HP Indigo presses via AppleTalk, not IP address. The OS 9 mac never has any problem connecting to the presses. Our workaround though is about to be nullified, as we are about to move the old OS 9 mac (our last one) to the graveyard. Now we HAVE to find a way to always be able to connect from our OS X computers.

Help is much appreciated!!!!

Re: Trouble connecting to HP Indigo presses from OS X

Have you tried connecting via SMB, or only AFP? Which
version of OS X are you running?

Operating latest version of OS X (10.5.4) on 3 macs (2 - Dual G5 Powermacs and 1 - Intel DuoCore iMac). We can connect via samba (SMB) using the Indigo presses IP addresses, but cannot connect via AFP using IP addresses. When viewing the Network shares the Indigo presses do not show up.

Operating latest version of OS X (10.5.4) on 3 macs (2 - Dual G5 Powermacs and 1 - Intel DuoCore iMac). We can connect via samba (SMB) using the Indigo presses IP addresses, but cannot connect via AFP using IP addresses. When viewing the Network shares the Indigo presses do not show up.

Is there some reason that the SMB protocol won't work
when printing to your Indigo?

not that i know of. sometimes it just won't connect, but then we go try using the OS 9 computer, it connects right away.

Are you trying to print to the press, or send files to the RIP? SMB should work, Indigo RIPs (Harlequin/GG) seem to like SMB over AFP or AppleTalk. Also, have you called HP support? How was this set up originally? Are you using a central file server?

Love to help, I have tons of experience with this, but I think we need more info.

Thanks,
Jeff Lazerus

Edit Mac Host File

Edit Mac Host File

try this:
Edit Mac Host File
You must know the root password for the OSX Mac, IP address of the destination Server, and the name of the destination Server to do this. ( see the attached PDF )
This will register your HP computers IP and name allowing for a easy connection using AFP, which is what your system OS 9 Mac uses.

If these are volumes you use constantly, you may want to add them to be connected when you startup your Mac's. Go to Accounts Preferences, Login Items, and add them there. Then each time you boot up those HP volumes will be connected.

Attachments

• hosts edit.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Are you trying to print to the press, or send files to the RIP? SMB should work, Indigo RIPs (Harlequin/GG) seem to like SMB over AFP or AppleTalk. Also, have you called HP support? How was this set up originally? Are you using a central file server?

Love to help, I have tons of experience with this, but I think we need more info.

Thanks,
Jeff Lazerus

Not printing to the press - we send files to the rip folder or template folder. We are currently using smb but have also tried afp. I have not (yet) called HP about this. Was set up before I joined the company. We are not using a central file server but are sending files directly from our personal computers.

try this:
Edit Mac Host File
You must know the root password for the OSX Mac, IP address of the destination Server, and the name of the destination Server to do this. ( see the attached PDF )
This will register your HP computers IP and name allowing for a easy connection using AFP, which is what your system OS 9 Mac uses.

If these are volumes you use constantly, you may want to add them to be connected when you startup your Mac's. Go to Accounts Preferences, Login Items, and add them there. Then each time you boot up those HP volumes will be connected.

Thanks, I will try this and report back.

well, no solutions offered yet have worked.
being as this problem occurs for ALL os x macs on the network, i would assume that the problem is not with the macs, but with the indigo press. can anyone help me troubleshoot possible connectivity issues on that end?
thanks

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back