Trying to save ink

kenthekid

I posted this query back a few; how can I save ink without going "Alwan" etc. and one of the replies was,
try creating a heavier GCR profile, which I did using Kodak's Profile Wizard and setting the process template in Prinergy to use this profile ONLY on "Images" and not "Graphics". Overall, this worked pretty good on most jobs we've done where images/photos are the primary subjects. In some cases where there were 1/C black shadows on outlined photos, the profile changed them to 4/C shadows. On some jobs we do where the work was done mostly in Illustrator, it changes 1/C black type and 1/C black/gray backgrounds into 4/C.
Is this common when creating these kinds of profiles and has anyone out there employed similar processes?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Black-only drop shadows in an image will be converted unless you use a device link profile that is set to maintain pure black. Black type can be protected in the Prinergy process template by checking the "Retain CMYK Black" button for CYMK Graphics. I have an old version of Prinergy, so it might be a little different on your version.

Bret

Hi Kenethekid,

In order to preserve Black only content, you need to use ICC devicelink profile. It is made with specialized software like PerfX Device Link Proâ„¢. To use it in Prinergy, it is about the same setup.
Devicelink profile allows to preserve specific color attributes like black only, primary color , etc.

Louis

It is amazing what can be done in Acrobat 9 with a good set of profiles, using colour convert and chacking off preserve black, preserve pure colours. Try it you probably have it anyway.
I use it by converting to output intent and usig an output profile built from standard measurement data, but with a different GCR and TAC.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back