Two Offset Consumable Questions - Paper and Synthetics

rcm355

I own a fulfillment and on demand print company that currently deals in all digital work. For several reasons I'm looking into purchasing a 4 color offset press and I would like to get an average consumable cost per sheet so I can do some basic estimating and see if it is worth the investment. Here are the specs. of the average runs:

Sheet size is either 24x29 or 28x40 for both paper and 24 mil PVC., using UV ink. I know that this will vary with paper weight.

Not worried about plate costs, etc. Almost looking for a cost per click if it was digital.

Thanks for any feedback

Hi!! At the beginning I have to inform you that every offset machine is a very productive machine.
Their is also a huge difference between the digital and offset printing process, additional knowledge will probably need you. I don't know the quantities that you print in the digital machine but surely in an offset you have to print 3 times or more the quantities you print on a digital one. Per sheet surely it will cost you less. An offset machine run the slower one with 8,000 sheets per hour. Also if you buy an offset machine I strongly suggest to buy and a CTP system. (I'am working both with digital and offset machines).
Thank you,
I hope all this words will helps little.

Thanks for the response. Our volumes are substantially increasing and we have been outsourcing the off set work for several years. Based on our customers requirements and wanting the additional capacity for other projects we have decided to make this move. I am continuing to educate myself about the offset side of the business and I wanted to use this forum to get some un-biased opinions. The reps. for the presses seem to be all over the board and non-committal to the consumables question.

I can tell you about the consumables cost per sheet. But I'm wondering if you can tell me where are you come from in order to see if my costs would be the same like you.?

Also I want to learn the size of the machine that you are thinking to buy. For example one of my machines maximum sheetsize is 72cm X52cm. More ink, bigger plates, more electricity e.t.c needs in order to start a machine like this from a machine like GTO 52 for example.

pvc and other vinyl printing can be very profitable, but make sure you buy a good machine for uv. you can probably just call some suppliers of pvc and vinyls to get pricing for your expected volume and substrate. pricing on 20x26 sheets can can range from $250/1000 to $250/100 depending on material. the good news is there should be enough profit in your work that you won't need to keep the press running 10 hours a day.

Sheet size is either 24x29 or 28x40 for both paper and 24 mil PVC., using UV ink. I know that this will vary with paper weight.

Thanks for any feedback

White PVC .024 x 24 x 29 mwt = 870 lb
approximate cost per sheet is $1.09

White PVC .024 x 28 x 40 mwt = 1400 lb
approximate cost per sheet is $1.75

These estimates can vary (either way) depending on the surface finish (matte, gloss or matte/gloss) as well as the quantities and of course the delivery terms.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback and info. I am looking to purchase a Komori LS640. I am between having it equiped for either UV only or UV and standard ink. I am leaning toward UV and standard ink.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back