Unable to Save Photoshop PDF

chevalier

I can't get Photoshop to save a Photoshop PDF in any format with any files. I trashed the preferences. I've searched the web high and low without any success. Any suggestions?

The error message is always the generic "Photoshop could not save as "whatever.pdf" because of a program error".

MacOS 10.6.8 with Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 x32
I attempted both 32bit and 64bit modes and it made no difference.

Last edited:
Yes, I can open PSD or TIFF in Illustrator or place in InDesign as a work around. But why is the Save As Photoshop PDF functionality in Photoshop broken?

Either your Photoshop file is too large or it is corrupt. Most likely you have a file corruption issue. Try working from a previous version. If your previous version isn't available do a save as and use a completely unrelated filename. Work from the new file. It sounds like a chicken soup solution and I wouldn't suggest it if I hadn't used that fix with some success. You can also try editing the new file on another workstation.

Either your Photoshop file is too large or it is corrupt.

That is not what is happening here - if you re-read the original post he stated;

"I can't get Photoshop to save a Photoshop PDF in any format with any files."

So, if you open a JPEG file or a TIFF file - you can't save as Photoshop PDF - yes ?

Do you have the installations disks ? Can you re-install ?

When you try to save as Photoshop PDF, do you get to that dialog box that states;

"The setting you choose..." ( i uploaded and added a screen capture of the dialog box - see below )
--- or does it error immediately ?

Did you recently update Acrobat ( I seem to recall that the engine that Photoshop uses is tied to Acrobat, not sure of that ... ) I assume this is just happening on one ( 1 ) computer, yes ?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 12.30.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-16 at 12.30.52 PM.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 207
I know this is elementary (but I've had probs with this)...

Make sure where you are writing new file to has read/write permissions...desktop?

@ Nick Danger -- user did mention --> "MacOS 10.6.8 with Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 x32"

- and why would this ONLY happen when SAVING AS PHOTOSHOP PDF THEN - would that not be true of any "Save as" format ?

Yes, I can open PSD or TIFF in Illustrator or place in InDesign as a work around. But why is the Save As Photoshop PDF functionality in Photoshop broken?

Can you save as a PDF in Illustrator and InDesign. If yes, then something must be wrong with Photoshop. If no, then the Acrobat might be the culprit.

i think you are overlooking something obvious.

FILE>

SAVE AS >

check the box save as copy

then select photoshop PDF.

DONE.

Sometime it caused by memories (RAM) or Photoshop. Try save it as native PSD and then use other computer to save as PDF again, if it is success, please check RAM or reinstall Photoshop and update to latest version.

@ Nick Danger -- user did mention --> "MacOS 10.6.8 with Photoshop CS5 12.0.4 x32"

- and why would this ONLY happen when SAVING AS PHOTOSHOP PDF THEN - would that not be true of any "Save as" format ?

That would be true (if he has successfully done "Save as" formats)

help

help

I'm having trouble, for the first time ever, saving/exporting pdf's out of indesign & illustrator.
After the pdf is made and viewed, some of the items dropped completely off of the file. For example, a letter-size flyer has a black background, when pdf is made and viewed the black background is gone. I don't understand what is happening here but I've never had trouble with pdf creation before and I've made large complicated files into pdf's before.
Anyone know what's going on here. I'm running 10.6.8; everything is up-to-date.:mad:

@lukas
i checked those things and no. overprint not checked, spots and process not mixed, but in past i've been able to mix and still have a successful pdf.

@visualaid
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear Overprint preview should be enabled.
I'd be happy to see if I can figure it out, but would been to see the file.
It is not that the obejct/objects are set to non-printing or in a template layer?
The dissapearing objects are similar in size to the pasteboard?
Try exporting to a PDFx1a or PDFx4, see if it helps.

@visualaid
Sorry maybe I wasn't clear Overprint preview should be enabled.
I'd be happy to see if I can figure it out, but would been to see the file.
It is not that the obejct/objects are set to non-printing or in a template layer?
The dissapearing objects are similar in size to the pasteboard?
Try exporting to a PDFx1a or PDFx4, see if it helps.

thank you lukas, when i run into this again i will upload to this thread and you can check it out.

lukas, just ran into again, this time exporting pdf out of indesign.
its a simple illustrator file that is losing tan background when creating pdf.
take a look

it won't let me upload the .ai file. so instead i've uploaded the pdf that is losing its background.

@visualaid, it's hard to see where there is supposed to be the lost background. The Pdf has one pandone colour that covers the whole document (Pantone 475 @ 75% opacity, at group level) and text (converted to outlines) + frame in Pantone 195. If you like you can pm a zip file of the ai so I can compare it.

You may need to reduce the size of your document by going to Image > Image Size and adjusting the settings. Above a certain threshold, Photoshop will force you to save as .PSB (Photoshop Large Document format.)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back