Uncoated Pantone: Equivalent to Hex Colors

lexignot

Hello,

Could you please let me know which Uncoated Pantone colors correspond to Blue (#182D48) and Flesh (#F0D09F) if I want to offset print directly on brown kraft paper 400G?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,

Could you please let me know which Uncoated Pantone colors correspond to Blue (#182D48) and Flesh (#F0D09F) if I want to offset print directly on brown kraft paper 400G?

Are you asking for the closest match to Blue (#182D48) and Flesh (#F0D09F) before Blue and Flesh inks are printed on brown kraft paper or the Blue and Flesh colors after those two inks are printed on brown kraft paper?

Are you asking for the closest match to Blue (#182D48) and Flesh (#F0D09F) before Blue and Flesh inks are printed on brown kraft paper or the Blue and Flesh colors after those two inks are printed on brown kraft paper?
After those two inks are printed on brown kraft paper. Thank!

After those two inks are printed on brown kraft paper. Thank!

The only way you can determine that is by testing with the actual ink printed on the actual paper stock, ideally using the printing press you’re going to actually use for the job.
Or, you can create ink draw downs on the kraft stock using several mixes of inks that are pretty close to each of the two colors you're going to use. Not fully accurate but might be close enough.
It's best to test than to guess.

The only way you can determine that is by testing with the actual ink printed on the actual paper stock, ideally using the printing press you’re going to actually use for the job.
Or, you can create ink draw downs on the kraft stock using several mixes of inks that are pretty close to each of the two colors you're going to use. Not fully accurate but might be close enough.
It's best to test than to guess.
Thanks @gordo ! Just two follow up questions:
  1. Knowing the closest Coated Pantones I found are Pantone 2767C for the Blue #182D48 and Pantone 155C for the Flesh #F0D09F when printed on white paper, should I assume the equivalents Uncoated Pantones (2767U and 155U) will give the same result on brown kraft paper?
  2. When you mention ink draw downs, is it with offset printing? because I know the rendering with digital printing on brown kraft paper is completely off.

Thanks @gordo ! Just two follow up questions:
  1. Knowing the closest Coated Pantones I found are Pantone 2767C for the Blue #182D48 and Pantone 155C for the Flesh #F0D09F when printed on white paper, should I assume the equivalents Uncoated Pantones (2767U and 155U) will give the same result on brown kraft paper?
  2. When you mention ink draw downs, is it with offset printing? because I know the rendering with digital printing on brown kraft paper is completely off.

1. Possibly. But you can't assume that.
2. Yes, offset. The ink drawdown is done on a hand cranked mini offset press called a "Little Joe".

Little Joe.jpg

It is a dry offset press (no fountain solution). It is typically used by offset printers and/or ink suppliers to show what an ink color mix or varnish looks like on a customer's paper choice - in your case the brown kraft.

Hello,

In August this year you posted:

"We did offset printing directly on a brown kraft paper board of 350G with a blue background in pantone 2767C and text on it in pantone 155C (flesh color). The rendering is darker than expected for both colors"

Several answers were provided from experts in the industry, you appear to be going round in circles with a lack of understanding that offset inks are transparent, therefore the substrate will affect the colour of any ink printed on it. The only way to overcome this effectively is to lay down an opaque layer prior to printing.
Adding opaque white to the mix will make some difference but will only reduce the transparency of the ink and not eliminate it.

You need to understand that, with the exception of some metallic inks, you cannot print a colour lighter than the substrate and expect to produce that colour without aforementioned opaque base layer.

Honestly, the way I would approach this job is to use white kraft paper and print brown to give the appearance of brown kraft. Knock out the areas where you want your two spot colors to print - that way they go down on a white surface. That makes it a 3 color job with possibly a 4th color to add texture to the brown.
Or print on brown kraft using screen printing which prints opaque inks.
Or give up.

Honestly, the way I would approach this job is to use white kraft paper and print brown to give the appearance of brown kraft. Knock out the areas where you want your two spot colors to print - that way they go down on a white surface. That makes it a 3 color job with possibly a 4th color to add texture to the brown.
Or print on brown kraft using screen printing which prints opaque inks.
Or give up.
Yes, we do this quite regularly, but as 4 colour process, using a scan of the brown kraft paper or other textured paper as the background.

Thank you both for your detailed explanations. @gordo and @Magnus59 would you mind sharing photos of the end results of the process you described above? You can DM if you want to keep it private.

Yes, we do this quite regularly, but as 4 colour process, using a scan of the brown kraft paper or other textured paper as the background.
Hello @Magnus59 and @gordo ,

I apologize in advance for not being an expert and for my long post, but if you could answer my questions, it’d be much appreciated. I understand there are four options available to accomplish what I want on 400g brown kraft paperboard:

1. Offset printing: Apply multiple layers of opaque white ink directly to the paper stock where I want to print my artwork, then let the white opaque white ink to dry (I understand this process is called “opaque dry trap”) before applying over the Blue and Flesh colors of my artwork. Questions:
    1. How many layers of opaque white and colors of the artwork are needed? Should I add a layer of silver (Pantone 877) and then a layer of white opaque?
    2. What type of ink is needed for the opaque white layer and the colors of the artwork: PH neutral, UV ink, staggered inks, spot inks or CMYK, PMS U, C, CP or UP?
    3. Should I add 3-5% opaque white to the colors of the artwork to reduce transparency, if there are layers of opaque white already applied underneath?
    4. Apparently, there is a new process using latex to make opaque dry traps, are you familiar with this process?
  2. Offset printing: Print the artwork directly on white kraft paper and print the brown kraft texture around the artwork with the option of adding a fourth color to add texture to the brown color. Question:
    1. How can printing a color add texture?
  3. Offset printing: Print the artwork directly on brown kraft paper by adding 3-5% opaque white to the artwork color mix without any opaque white layers underneath. This reduces the transparency of the inks but does not eliminate it.
  4. Screen printing: Use screen printing to apply opaque inks with the artwork colors directly to brown kraft. Question:
    1. Is it necessary to apply multiple layers of opaque white before applying opaque inks with the colors of the artworks on top?
Of these four processes, which is the most effective and least expensive in your experience?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back