Understanding Prinect

c26sail

I recently started working at shop with Prinect-P, and Signa. I originally came from a Rampage shop and I have also worked with a Delta and Signa system. I really like how effortlessly Prinect processes files but I am finding what I consider inefficiencies in the workflow. I am hoping that someone may be able to lead me in the right direction to improve these items. The company I am working for does not have a support contract and the training I have received has been secondhand.

Problem 1: Is it possible to reprocess a single page from a PDF in cockpit and have it rejoin the PDF that is output to the PDF Pool, rather than having multiple correction files.

Problem 2: Is it possible to output ripped impositions to different devices without going back into Signa? I tried this from MetaDimensions but it came out in the wrong orientation.

Problem 3. Is it possible to stop a job in Cockpit with spot colors and remap them at that point? I can only find the option to continue as spot or convert to process.

Problem 4. The Rampage shop ran a Fuji Luxel CTP device. This shop has a Supra setter. Is is it possible to control the buffered jobs in the CTP device the same as the luxel, ie. pause, change order and delete? For example, if I have a rush plate and I have already sent 8 to the Supra do I have to wait for those 8 to complete?

Hi C26... you really got some awefull training, sorry to hear your fustrations

1 - by default in the qualify in printready will create a linked PDF. Meaning if your input file has 5 pages, when printready creates the PDF after qualify these 5 pages will be linked. So if you double click page 3 to preview in Acrobat you will see page 3 but your document will be 5 pages.

What you need to do is edit your qualify template and turn on split document. This will separate your input file into independent pages.

2 - Yes once your have done your imposition in Signa you use cockpit to output to whatever device you want. I imgine you have some sort of full size proofing device to check your jobs before plating?
If not you need to setup the device in Meta demension (Mproof) then create a proof template in cockpit (imposition proof). You should be able to set up and send your files to just about anything even a laser printer.

3 - To remap colours you need to qualify your input file only. Meaning do not have your qualify linked to your prepare. After qualify go to your job settings tab, then colors. Here you will see all the colours and just pick the settings you want for each colour. Back to your prepress tab, now submit your file to the prepare and your colour mapping will be done.

4 - You should have a Meta shooter computer. If not, you should still have the software which connects and monitors the supersetter. On this computer you should see the queue for supersetter. It is very similar similar to the meta printmanager software. Or even better each Meta has a web portal which you can open up on your workstation and monitor it. Once you get to either (print manager, or web portal) you have the option to set priority.

5 - Good Luck!

p

Thanks, I just posted another message since this one had been so long in getting answered. I will try the steps you pointed out and see if that helps. I am not sure about the MetaShooter we may not have that functionality. Or at least I don't know how to get to it.

Understanding Prinect

If my memory serves me with PrintReady P you do all your output through Signa. I think only the more advanced versions you do the output through the cockpit. We have M and I'm pretty sure I remember this limitation in the training.

I'm running 4.5 so maybe its changed in later versions. Call Heidleberg and ask for Jim Ross-he'll give you the straight answer.

marko

Problem 2: Is it possible to output ripped impositions to different devices without going back into Signa? I tried this from MetaDimensions but it came out in the wrong orientation.

So far I have got the pages to split. The next thing for me to figure out is how to get them to combine properly. When you write out the single page edit from indesign to pdf you have to give it a different name or export the entire PDF again and qualify the entire PDF again. Is there a way around this? Should I be using the assign function? I have no idea what that is for. Also we copy the pages to a folder called pdf pool to assemble them. Is there any way of having the split pages place into a grouped folder in the pdf pool?

I just talked to a sales rep and he said we have to upgrade from Prinect-P to do these types of things. I guess I am just frustrated that these are all basic features in Rampage. Prinect-P seems to be a revised Delta with a normalized workflow. I have yet to see any gain.

Hi C26, I am confused what you are trying to accomplish now after you split the pages and want to combine them.

I thought you had Printready which means you have cockpit to control the workflow. But many it sounds like all you have is MetaDimension and Signa. Which all that is, is a RIP and impostion and you would have to output from Signa to your supersetter.

I can see why this would be frustration because like you said you actually lost functions from Rampage with this new setup.

Good luck

p

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back