Use Barcodes to Automate Production

Chris O

Hi All,

As a quick introduction, I've been in the printing industry for over 35 years now, starting as an offset printer before running my own offset business for 10 years.
I moved on to print engineering and have worked for the largest online custom manufacturer for the past 6 years.
This was great experience and has taught me a lot about other forms of print, textiles etc but also taught me about lean manufacturing and the value of automated workflow.

I'm now working for myself to help others with their workflow problems, not in an abstract way, but with practical advice and inexpensive working solutions.

I have recently written this software to allow barcodes to action files.
It can be customised to allow auto file processing through a script or program like photoshop and send the file straight to printer hot folder.

Please checkout my website http://scan2print.com.au for more information.

I am able to help you make it work with any project and can supply various action scripts or custom code that may be needed.
Just let me know what you are trying to achieve, I can work online on your pc to demonstrate or setup for you too.

email me [email protected]

cheers Chris

I am familiar with scanning barcodes to “automate” factory floor input in the Accura MIS, however I am not exactly sure of the suggested benefits from your website. I would request/recommend that you provide a movie or two on your site or linked to YouTube, Vimeo etc. That way prospective customer’s can see the benefits “live” in action.

Stephen Marsh

Hi Stephen, thanks for the feedback,
I realise it is not immediately obvious how to use the program so I will post some videos soon. The site has just gone live so it's still a work in progress.

There are a lot of barcoding programs on the market but they are all related to POS, inventory etc, this is different and is used to actually create actions with files.
It is not a new concept and large manufacturers usually have their own custom coded software, this is the only off the shelf solution for small / med business.

It was originally designed to use on Kornit digital textile machines. An operator just scans the barcode and the correct file is opened in photoshop where it is processed with extra white channels added, it is then renamed in specific format that is recognised by the printer, so it will use correct setup info and is added to print queue. The whole process only takes a few seconds, hence the name scan to print.
Previously the operator has to click "open new file" search for correct file, load file, open dialogue to adjust image params / setup, close the file then print the job.

The barcode allows workflow tracking and saves errors printing the wrong files on wrong media.
As its been developed we found more and more uses for it, its been used to send files to CNC equipment as well.

Chris O'Brien

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back