Using Paper Weight settings to Tweak speeds on x700

Biosizzle

I have seen a lot of responses from what seem to be experienced techs on this board. So I decided to ask what may be a silly question to some, and very interesting to others.

When you set up to print 100 lb gloss, the printer produces at a much faster rate than say, a 12pt cover stock. So what are the dangers/ limitations in setting a project up as 129-150 gsm and printing it on 300 gsm? It goes from producing one sheet approximately every 8 seconds to one about every 2 seconds.

The only difference i have found in print quality at first glance is increased saturation. I imagine there is some physical limitation I am overlooking. Any advice?

I think this applies to any digital press out there.

Changing the paper weights, changes the speed of the engine, and also the temperature in the fuser, pressure of some rollers, etc. You take the risk that your print won't fuse properly in the heavy paper, it could come off. You can also get paper jams.

The machines are designed like that for a reason.

If you need more speed for heavier media, your next step could be a Xerox DocuColor 7002.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back