Using recent Ripmate with a Mako CTP 4

Hi all,
first time in this forums and also very first steps in the prepress world.
Please excuse my extreme lack of knowledge.
We are a small printing company and we always outsourced our plates production.
Recently we had the chance to buy for a good price a used ctp, the mako 4 ctp and we decided to go for it.
Since it was quite a bargain from a failing company we did not get any kind of support.
The PC connected to the CTP runs CtServer so it needs to be sourced with a TIFF image. We also got another PC with a Celebrant RIP solution from fujifilm but this computer has both hardware and software problems and we don't have the Celebrant software CDs.
We'd also like to use our new iMac to do the RIP work and we are thinking to install one of the latest version of ECRM ripmate for OSX.
From what I'm reading ripmate 8.1 doesn't support by default the output to TIFF image that is needed by CtServer.
How can we make ripmate 8.1 output a TIFF file? What component is needed?
Does this solution makes sense to you or you have better suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Simone

If I'm not mistaken the CelebraNT is useless as it cannot export 1-bit tiff files.
The current ECRM Ripmate version is 8.3 and it does contain 1-bit tiff generation ever since version 5.x, except fo the slim-down version called Ripmate-Lite (filmsetter-rip) which is of course cheaper and supports hardware only connection scsi, usb to imaging devices.
There's no particular component that needs to be installed. The standard i.e. full Ripmate setup package already contains the tiff output, there's no specific plugin required or option to activate. Just select 'none' during installation when the setup asks what's your imaging device.

It seems that the RIP-prepress parts of my work it will turn out fine as I have an Harlequin RIP based solution installed and outputting TIFF files. The problem now is the MAKO 4 CTP machine.
We bought this machine used and on sale but I'm still not sure that everything in it is working properly.
Now I'm trying the different tests available directly in the machine menu (checkerboard and grid test mainly).
I set the parameter of the plate directly in the machine, the exposure, the magnification.
I launch the test and I load the plate (a Fujifilm LP-NV) and I start the job after having lowered the bar.
The machine seems to work, loads the plate and if I look through the cilinders that drive the plate I can see a bright blue light appearing.
The problem is that the plate exits from the other side of the machine exactly the same as when loaded. No signs of laser impressions at all.
I also tried to do a laser test and with that I see a purple light appering through the cilinders. This test doesn't ask to load a plate and so I can't see any other useful result.
The machine doesn't show any error and the CtServer program is able to communicate with it.
Will someone help me in troubleshooting and so avoid me the cost of calling the support service?
I thank you all in advance!

Of course there won't be any sign of laser impression. Have you tried processing the plate ?

I just tried to do a fast processing with chemicals on the the plate but nothing appear.
Furthermore I'm told by the previous owners of the machine that on a plate coming out of the CTP you should be able to see signs of impression even before processing. Is this wrong?
Thanx for your fast answer!

The latent image on plate is invisible, or should I say very, very difficult to see. What do you mean by 'fast processing with chemicals' ? Haven't you received a plate processor together with your ctp ?

By "fast processing with chemicals" I mean pouring proper chemicals on the plate and rubbing it. I know that this is not the proper process but we thought that should be enough to see if there's any impression on the plate. We have a processor machine but it's still unassembled and we thought to test if the CTP is working at all before going further.
Do you really think that the process described would not be enough to see if the plate is impressed?

well, never tried that to be honest :) Yes you need to install the processor and set it up properly with the right chemistry. You definitely need assistance from a local dealer.

Thanx a lot Maxon. The idea of pouring chemicals and rubbing is derived from our current (and very old) process of making plates from film. With that kind of plates, it would work.
We'll set up the processor and see where we get.
Before throwing money to a support service (of which I have kind of a low opinion) I prefer to bang my head against the wall a little more.
We have just started this transition to CTP and we didn't plan it to be fast and immediate so we have some time.
Thanx again, maybe in this banging the head on the wall process I'll come back here and ask for more help :)
You've been really kind and helpful!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back