Utopia 1x paper, ink drying issues

printr640

Has anyone ran utopia 1x fsc certified paper. I have ran this paper a few times now and have not been able to get it to dry; ink is very wet for at least 45 min. We have aq coated everytime to avoid set-off. Anyone else have any experiamce with this paper?

I may be wrong but I thought utopia fell into the same category as tyvek and yupo stocks. They make special inks for these stocks which allow the printer a better shot of getting them to dry.

I may be wrong but I thought utopia fell into the same category as tyvek and yupo stocks. They make special inks for these stocks which allow the printer a better shot of getting them to dry.

R&D is correct they do take special inks to aid in drying. I saw this question and felt it necessary to register and log in just to back up this statement. Our now previous paper vendor that sold us this stock said it performs just like "any old matte" well it definitely does not. We were unable to save a job that was printed on this stock because it never dried.

Mike Herndon

What type of special ink should i look into? I have ran on this stock a few times now and ran with the same ink we use for styrene stock; this ink was better but still not good enough to make it dry. We use flint as our primary process ink and Kohl and Madden syntax inks for styrene needless to say neither of these worked without coating.

We use Braden & Sutphin inks and are currently set up with a B&S in-plant ink operation. To print on the Utopia and stocks similar we use their Eco Pride/EPTS Low Voc High Solid series of inks. The ink tech will then add grapho dryer at a rate of 1 ounce per pound or 1%. The max would be 2 ounces per pound(2%). Adding more than 2% of the grapho dryer will not help and just cause more problems. We've had a lot of success with this set up. Just for discussion sake quick set inks in general have caused us problems when printing on these stocks. We are running 2 sm102 cp2000 640 perfectors. I hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back