Versant 280 Ink Setoff Prevention Mode (skip pitch)

TJPrinter

This setting should slow the engine down to about half speed but no change occurs when turning the feature on. On the Versant 80 I had a NVM that I would enter to put the engine in skip pitch mode.

Ink Setoff Prevention Mode should be able to be set from the control panel under Tools, Other Settings, Ink Setoff Prevention with the options of Off, Always On or On For Required Paper Only. It also appears on the Fiery under Finishing with the same options as on the control panel. I’ve tried setting on both the control panel and the Fiery and I can’t slow the engine down. They have no effect whatsoever.

Has anyone been able to successfully use this feature? I don’t have a problem with the stacks becoming bricks from toner sticking sheets together but I would like to at least try to slow the engine when I have jobs that may need to be slowed down or at least try to see if cooling the sheets off before they get duplexed would lengthen the 2nd BTR life. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've never used it on our V80. In all my years with Xerox I've never experienced bricking, maybe that's the Irish climate being less than tropical.

I just did a test there and although job took slightly longer to begin printing the output was the same.
I wonder does it only kick in after a few hundred sheets when the machine is at max temps? Might test that on my next bigger run.

I can't see how it would prolong the 2nd BTR, the wear caused to that unit is based on the actual stock passing through it, even if it did slow it down its the quantity of stock and type not time.

Just to note on the 2nd BTR, I've only ever experienced the "dragging" dirt lines as it's fault and I obviously replace the unit.
Recently I had a tech in who mentioned he'd seen banding being caused by it and low and behold a few days later I had bad banding and what looking like patchy fusing issues and new btr solved them.

Good thought about the run needing to be longer. Thanks for giving it a try. I’ll check that out. My fear is not that the 2nd BTR needs to be replaced but that service will at some point not have one on hand to get it running again. Slowing down the engine is a band aid approach that may or may not work but most of the time I wouldn’t even have the time to allow it to run slow in skip pitch.

Slowing the engine down may or may not give the sheets more time to dissipate some heat before they get to the 2nd BTR again.

The failure of the 2nd BTR is much worse on the 280 than it was on the 80. The most technical explanation that I have received is that when duplexing coated stock heat will start to build up and it’s the heat that will start to release some of the coating from the paper onto the roller of the 2nd BTR, then the coating migrates to the brush roller and the wax bar and then finally the scraper. Once this all happens waste toner makes it’s way past the scraper and since the wax bar is no longer lubricating the roller as it should, waste toner gets picked up by the back side of the sheet as it passes over the 2nd BTR roller. This is why Xerox has never been able to correct the problem, they need an entire new 2nd BTR design.

We keep a replacement 2nd BTR on site and the service guys showed us how to replace it so we can do it ourselves. Very simple on the V80, literally 60 seconds.
I just order them as I need when ordering consumables so I could have a couple if needed.

That's a real pity to hear it's worse on the V280. Good explanation on the failing process.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back