UV Coater with KM - Tec vs Duplo

dagoof

I've been considering a coater for a while now and have narrowed it down to 2 machines, though they're a little different in spec. Just looking for thoughts/experiences.

First up, we have the Tec XtraCoat Mini. I like that it's compact, I can buy new, it's tried & tested with KM, quick & easy for small runs (which is mostly what I'll start with). What I don't like: it's hand-fed and parts/servicing will be a bit harder to come by (outside US).

A used Duplo 205A is also a consideration. I'd have to buy a used one on my budget but it seems a lot more machine for the money (operational expandability having the integrated feed) and parts/service easier to come by. I'm not sure how they cope with KM toner though, I'm also concerned that 'more machine' may mean more maintenance.

I've been considering a coater for a while now and have narrowed it down to 2 machines, though they're a little different in spec. Just looking for thoughts/experiences.

First up, we have the Tec XtraCoat Mini. I like that it's compact, I can buy new, it's tried & tested with KM, quick & easy for small runs (which is mostly what I'll start with). What I don't like: it's hand-fed and parts/servicing will be a bit harder to come by (outside US).

A used Duplo 205A is also a consideration. I'd have to buy a used one on my budget but it seems a lot more machine for the money (operational expandability having the integrated feed) and parts/service easier to come by. I'm not sure how they cope with KM toner though, I'm also concerned that 'more machine' may mean more maintenance.

Have you considered an Al's Co Machine. They are economical to Tec Lighting and 100% made in the USA, so parts and service would not be an issue. You can also get automatic feeds too.

KM UV coating

KM UV coating

If your KM uses wax-based toners you will need to make sure your UV coater has a pre-heater. We have a 13-inch Drytac and it is beautiful. In hindsight we should have gone with the 20 inch. The reason is simply that if you have any humidity in your building and you don't UV-coat the printed sheets right away the humidity can cause wrinkling if the grain is long. The 20 inches gives you the liberty to rotate the feed direction.

Goalpdl - I hadn't, I'm reluctant to expand the search though. I was close to deciding on the Tec because there's so many positive reports (and there'd be a good support network for any queries I have), but then a Duplo became available (that I know a competitor uses to good effect...though I wasn't sure about digital).

Halmac - yes, it's wax-based but both machines mentioned have the pre-heater. It'd be used with heavier stock so I'm not so concerned about wrinkle, but the digital does have the tendency to curl, so I'd also be concerned a coater may accentuate that.

Mazengh - it's almost solely going to be within the sizing of 8.5x11, so I should have freedom to rotate as Hal says even on smaller coaters.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back